hot water tank, replacement and possible move

Hi, I am more than likely in this house for the duration. The hot water tank started leaking last night, it will need replaced, which tank should I buy for long life, a grade 1?

If the tank was moved there would be more room in the loft. At present it is on the central side of a chimney breast, with the top of the header tank about 4 foot above the tank. If I shift the tank to the side of the chimney there will be less height for the tank, but still plenty room. Is there a minimium head needed?

The tank I have is 140 litre, we have a bath but it is only used once a week, and even then its only partly filled. What is the average cylinder size to feed a bath.

thanks

Reply to
misterroy

I have a 45 litre tank, which with quick recovery coil will /just/ fill a bath. We are thinking about replacing with a larger one, about 110 litre.

Reply to
<me9

I'd be thinking more on the lines of changing to a cylinder with a second (solar) coil and put the rest of the solar kit in at a time to suit yourself

Reply to
cynic

I bought a grade 3 double insulated (2") corrosion resistant tank with connections for an immersion heater and my boiler.

See

previous tank lasted about 20 years. I changed the immersion heater once, changing it again would not have been possible due to corrosion.

Reply to
Michael Chare

alternatively buy a water softener and a really good stainless steel tank.

Should do 40 years or more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Since I might be able to just about squeeze 40 year out of my own frame this sounds good. Are all stainless steel tanks the same, or are there recommended ones?

Reply to
misterroy

I think its general corrosion around the bottom of the tank, if I find the leak,and fix it would the tank not spring another one soon. I probably have the skills to fix it I did not think repair was an option. The leak is tiny at the moment.

Reply to
misterroy

From a closer inspection the water seems to be very slowly seeping out along the bottom of the cylinder, is it the join between the side and the domed bottom that fails, rather than corrosion going through either the side or bottom? For roughly a third of the circumference there are copper sulphate stains going up 40mm. Would it be a case of tank out, clean and flux the bottom and resolder? Assuming I find nothing else when I tae the tank out. thanks

Reply to