Hot water tank drain. Can it be plastic?

Our hot water tank has a drain that needs to be permanently moved due to work on an extension. The existing pipe is galvanised 15mm (or perhaps

1/2") that's a bit rusty where it's been exposed to the elements.

I could just cut it back a bit and extend it with copper but I'm wondering about replacing the whole pipe. Unfortunately, the route is sufficiently weird that doing it in copper would involve a lot of hacking and cutting of floor boards & joists. (There's a swan neck bend in the pipe inside a partition). I could potentially squeeze a plastic pipe (polybutylene or similar) through though without too much trouble.

Is plastic allowed in this situation? I know CH drain pipes all seem to be copper so I'm guessing possibly not although clearly plastic pipe can cope with the temperatures.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Don't see why not. Polyb pipe is spec'd for central heating which is a higher temperature spec than domestic hot water. I have a brass drain spigot on my cylinder. In the unlikely event of having to drain the cylinder I indend attaching a garden hose to the spigot.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Tony

Reply to
TMC

That would be simplest undoubtedly but as it has a drain plumbed to the outside (that might be worth preserving, I was wondering if building regulations have anything to say about it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Plastic pipe is used for CH radiators so I can't see a problem.

The Medway Handyman

I can't imagine why a hot water storage cylinder would have a permanently piped drain; can you post a picture somewhere? The exception being an unvented cylinder which has a drain from the 2 PRVs; that wouldn't usually be galvanized and it can't be in plastic. Can you clarify what you're talking about?

Reply to
Onetap

Rest assured it is a drain (with a draincock) but I've decided to stop fretting about it and just chop the d*mn thing off. Considering how often I plan on draining my tank, a hosepipe down the stairs will work just fine.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

It is not good practice to mix metals, so you wouldn't normally have a galvanized pipe connected to a copper cylinder. I'd suggest you also check the threaded fittings in the cylinder bushings. They should be bronze; iron fittings are sometimes used and they corrode and eventually fail, usually causing much damage.

Reply to
Onetap