Hot water system

Page 3 of 3

I'm having 5 zones, which might end up with more pipework than you could imagine festooned on the cylinder. Most of the 2 port valves will be two floors away and I don't want multiple runs of piping. So I suspect even if I had decided to take the central heating off the bank, I would have valved off a single tapping.
However, I might have required a bigger heat bank if I was to use it for heating as well. I was also worried about heat stratification performance if the central heating was forever stirring up the water.
At the end of the day, a decent condensing boiler can get 97% efficiency without the use of a heat bank. I doubt that the heat bank could improve on that much. Obviously, it is very useful if there are other heat sources involved, such as solar or a solid fuel boiler, but there isn't and never will be.
Christian.

two
if
on
Christian,
I intend to have a direct heat bank with the following:
- The top 2/3 of the cylinder, DHW section, will be heated to approx 75C
- A blending valve will be on the return to the boiler on the DHW side, set to 53C promoting condensing efficiency, boiler efficiency in that it operates at designed delta T, and rapid heat up of the stored water, with a one boiler pass of all the stored water.
- The bottom 1/3 (or 1/4), CH section, will be heated to whatever a weather compensator dictates. There will be an outside temp sensor and a sensor on the cylinder. Another sensor will be in the living space dropping the cylinder temp accordingly to room influences. If, for e.g., the outside temp is 10C it may require a cylinder temp of 48C or less.
- From the boiler the flow will have a 3-way diverter valve that diverts flow from the top cylinder section to the bottom and vice versa. The two sections will operate on two temperatures. The DHW section set and the CH section variable via a weather compensator.
- The top section takes priority, in that if the DHW cylinder stat calls for heat the diverter valve takes all the boilers heat to then top section for rapid heat up.
- The bottom CH section will have two zones run off this. One for upstairs and one for down. This is easy for system balance. Each will have a non-return valve and a Grundfos Alpha auto variable speed pump, variable on pressure sensing to compensate when rad valves start to close.
So, when on CH the bottom section may only be 25-30C forcing the condensing boiler into very low temps promoting high efficiency. In total 3 pumps and one 3-way valve and an outside weather compensator.

@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk says...

You take your personal hygene seriously! :-)
--
http://www.beluga.freeserve.co.uk

Oh yes. It's a great way of washing your hair. ;-)
Christian.
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:59:42 +0100, Peter Smithson
Perhaps he needs to? ;)
PoP