Hot water surges from a combi boiler

I have just changed our shower setup from an electric system to one running off our combi bolier.

The new system is more powerful and generally works fine, but sometimes after a couple of minutes there are surges or lulls in the hot water supply, meaning you either get scorched or cold.

Just wondering if anyone had any insights into why this might be happening?

Many thanks

Tom

Reply to
Thomas

Tom

What type of shower mixer do you have? Thermostatic? An expensive one? Does the combi do this when just supplying a tap? Are surges and lulls when someone flushes a toilet, turns on tap, etc?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The shower mixer is a combined bath shower mixer and is not top spec.

Yes, now you mention it, the water temperature does fluctuate when supplying to water to a normal tap.

I have found this note of advice on another DIY website which I think might apply to our situation:

One word of caution though - a mixer tap shower is not suitable where the supply of cold water is directly from the mains and the hot supplied indirectly, or, vice versa. The difference in pressure between the hot and cold will cause all sorts of problems, not least of which is the difficulty of balancing the temperature. Before starting any work, or for that matter spending hard-earned cash, assess the supply to the bath.

thanks for any advice

Tom

Reply to
Thomas

Take the mixer from tha mains, hot and cold. With a combi, I assume you got rid of the tanks in the loft. Have thsi in the supply to the mixer. It balances out the pressure to the hot and cold:

have seen these for £30 in B&Q Warehouse.

If the combi is fluctuating in temperature, get this seen to as well. It could many things.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Great, thanks very much for the advice.

Regs