hot water pipe run

Are you sure? I thought plain "plumbum" meant lead & "plumbum nigrum" referred to a black salt of lead.

Dang, & people said gin was bad for you.

Reply to
Adam Funk

It seems to be a more controversial theory than I thought. Grape must concentrated by long boiling is still popular in some parts of Italy as a seasoning. It is known as sapa. Apparently claims that Romans made it in lead pans ending up with very high lead concentrations are regarded as dodgy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I was goin to resolve this with a quick visit to Google Translate (which does Latin).

However, they claim "plumbum" is "tin" which is wrong, because "tin" is "stannum".

But I also agree "plumbum" is "plain lead"

Reply to
Tim Watts

I always wondered about the "Stannary towns of Cornwall". It now makes sense.

My Latin > English dictionary agrees

Reply to
charles

That's a coincidence as I used that a few hours ago after yet another "discussion" with the other half. Going to knock up a coat of arms on a badge with this on it,

Quicquid ego operor erit iniuriam

No Idea if it is a correct translation for what I want, perhaps some Latin scholars could comment.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

And Tin is Sn in the periodic table, like lead is Pb

Starter for 10 for the group - why is Tungsten "W"?

Reply to
Tim Watts

So it is.

I remember those in connection with Pb & Sn on the periodic table.

Unfortunately foonote 38 refers to a chemistry reference book in Russian. Note 40 is a link to a page that looks well-researched & includes this:

Plumbum was the generic name for soft white metals with low melt From Pliny?s writings it appears that the Romans in his time did not realize the distinction between Tin and Lead. He referred to Tin as plumbum album (white lead) to distinguish it from Lead which was called plumbum nigrum (black lead). Pliny referred to the existence of Tin and Lead alloys, what we now know as solder, as well as recipients of tinned copper. He wrote that the best mirrors were made at Brundisium from a mixture of Copper and "stagnum". By the Romans, the term stannum was mostly used for an alloy of Lead and Silver obtained in the winning of Silver. Not until the sixth century was it applied to Tin, but thereafter was commonly used in this sense.

?sym=Sn Interesting stuff. I've learned something already today.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Because it comes from wolframite, and was originally known as wolfram.

Reply to
John Williamson

Utter c*ck, you want to fight about it, Jimmy?

Actually, I recall many old lead pipes being taken out of Glasgow houses and almost without exception, they were coated inside with a brown sediment/scale which might have been lead-related but was likely peat-based from the public supply. The public supply to Glasgow was famously Loch Katrine, which was a catchment for thousands of acres of moor and peatland surrounding.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And was originally identified from ores dug up in Wolfram in the Black Forest.

What connection does Strontium have to Scotland?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Unexpected item in the bagging area?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote: [snip]

The milk up there is full of it following various noises including Wiindscale with a following wind, Dounreay and Chernobyl.

Reply to
Steve Firth

it was first found at Strontian.

Reply to
charles

Whatever I do will go wrong?

Reply to
Fred

,

Maybe they had a lot of good looking horses!

That's one for the historians to consider. Or maybe not:-(

Reply to
ARW

Have you considered submitting your theory as a paper to a learned journal?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I quite like that.

Close, What I intended was

"What ever I do will be wrong"

There is probably a club for blokes who get exasperated with their other half that has it as a motto, if not their should be.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I was out camping and getting drunk the entire weekend the peak of the Chernobyl radiation cloud was descending over the UK. Never did me any harm, as far as I know. Funny thing is, I now don't need nightlights...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

"Just one horse!"

Reply to