Hot Water Pipe Chased into Kitchen Wall

Hi all

I intend to run a new feed to my kitchen hot tap as the existing one takes a tortuous route, takes ages to run hot and has low flow when it finally arrives. The new feed will come from above and be chased in/platered over until the run is below worktop level. So the idea was to run plastic pipe inside plastic conduit, the conduit being plastered in just enough to give a plaster skim cover. Are there any gotchas here - tiles falling off hot walls, recommended depth of chase etc.?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It sounds fine. The drops to my radiators are done like that.

Just remember where the pipe is though. My first job this morning resulted in me drilling through a hot water pipe that ran horizontally just behind the plaster! Copper pipe just below the plaster skim.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If you can insulate the pipes in any way, the water will stay hot & the wall not....

Reply to
Phil

"Phil" wrote

"If you can insulate the pipes in any way, the water will stay hot & the wall not...."

Nice idea Phil, but this will mean chopping a significantly larger channel. I am reluctant to do this, as the route passes close(ish) to a window opening.

Having said that, I have some offcuts of heat resistant matting only about

2mm thick (used to put on the dining table under the table cloth for protection) - should be able to make room for that.

Good call

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I seem to remember that in A-level Physics we showed that adding insufficient insulation to a pipe can actually increase heat loss [1]...Though that was for a pipe surrounded by air. I wouldn't care to calculate how surrounding it by some plaster/air/breeze block modifies things....

[1] I forget why, but there's a reference to it at
under
Reply to
Airsource Ltd

"Airsource Ltd" wrote

The intention is to put the insulation on the outside of the conduit sleeve, so the pipe will be surrounded by a small air gap, then the conduit, then the insulation - should improve things, stopping the heat dissipating into the wall coverings.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

with copper, even a few mm of styrene or depron will make a huge difference. And even with plastic barrier type pipe.

Since plastic in screed is what my UFH does, I can assure you its a pretty poor way to transfer heat! Even with 100m of pipe the water going in at 50C is hard put to come out much less than 40C!!!

So I would not worry at all. Plastic in conduit sounds pretty good.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

I was thinking maybe I couldn't be bothered messing with the insulation - see how the job goes tonight. I suppose if the wall does get a bit warm, it's a good reminder that the pipe's there for future. Amazing how quickly you (or at least I) forget exactly where things are routed etc.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster