hot water from propane/electricity

I am lumbered with a LPG Baxi back of lounge fire Heating system,that does space heating and hot water. It works just fine,but is NOT cheap to run. My question is :-Would it be economic for me to fit a timer to the electric immersion heater and use that during the summer months {no space heating reqd]?indeed should I use a dual appproach all year? We have no white meter etc and take our electricity at the standard tarriff.

Reply to
robert john

Change to Economy 7 for your electricity and use the immersion heater at night for most of your hot water. This is what we do through much of the year with an LPG fuelled CH boiler.

Reply to
usenet

Doesn't daytime electricity cost more when you're on Economy 7?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Not last I looked, but there is a higher standing charge.

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

It varies from area to area. East Midlands didn't charge extra for day units, but only in the East Midlands. No-one supplying round here seems to charge the same for day units as on the 24 hr tarriff.

Reply to
<me9

I suspect it would. Hot water is not the biggest expense in a house, but throwing heat up a chimney is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but not by very much, just 10% or so I think. I'm sure you can check by going to the web site of your supplier. Even with just a couple of fridges and freezers going all the time (and a PC on continuously in my case) it often pays to go to Economy 7.

Reply to
usenet