hot water flow restrictor a good idea?

Hi all

Just had old heating system (indirect tank for hot water) replaced with closed combi. I general i'm pretty happy with the results but was surprised to discover that the flow of hot water is not restricted. As a result if hot taps are turned on too far the water is cooler than required. On reading the boiler manual (Biasi Garda he 28kw) it seems restrictors are only fitted to the less powerful boilers in the range. it seems that for our boiler a restrictor is not included as standard but can be added if required. Now i'm wondering about getting the plumber back to do this (assuming it's not a diy job?) but not sure if it's worth bothering because: a) maybe there are some cons against getting the flow restricted ? presumably if flow is restricted to produce hot enough water in winter then, in summer, when mains water is warmer the boiler could potentially achieve a greater flow at the required temp (but we will not be able to use this potential if restrictor fitted - if i've understood how they work correctly?) b) we intend to change all our taps within the next year, so maybe it would be possible / easier to limit the flow at the tap some how?

As always any advice will be much appreciated

Reply to
Mike

It is almost always better to restrict the flow near the tap. If every tap suffers from the same problem then restricting the inlet to the boiler might work OK. Many boilers have valve to do just this.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ed, Problem is with all taps and i've found the valve you mentioned so i'll try adjusting it. Thanks for your help

Reply to
Mike

I had the same problem; originally I restricted the flow after the boiler with a gate valve (crude but convenient), but it was very noisy. I fitted a proper pressure regulating valve on the cold water inlet to the boiler, which is quiet and gives very fine control.

This one is from BES (there are others from BES and Screwfix)

18862 DO4 pressure reducing valve £19.14

If your mains pressure is high you might see if such a valve can be fitted before the cold taps as well, although that wasn't practicable in my house because I wanted full mains pressure going to the loos and the shower header tank for speed of filling.

Reply to
newshound

You fitted the wrong valve. That is a pressure reducing valve not a FLOW REGULATOR.

The proper valve is: BES Part number: 17527 flow cartridges less than £1.

"regulates" flow, not pressure. It will lower flow and maintain the pressure.

If a combis is rated say 12 litres/min a 12 litre cartridge can be fitted in the cold inlet to the combi, so you always get 12 litres/min. Or, fit one at the hot bath tap. The rest of the outlets will not exceed the 12 litres/min.

You could have a 12 litre regulator on the cold inlet and by-pass around it with a 1/4 turn valve. Have it turned off in winter so all flow goes through the regulator, and on in summer, by-passing the regulator. In summer cold water mains temperature is higher and higher flowrates are achievable.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel