Hot water cylinder recovery

snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote in news:cgn5ft$3m0$ snipped-for-privacy@news.unix-apps.rit.sc2.udc.hpl.hp.com:

I've no problem

My understanding is that education is for children, not small goats.

IMO the only acceptable use for "kid" is the affectionate diminutuve usually confined to the family.

Of course the modern trend for all educators to refer to "kids" may have some connection with the loss of confidence in them

mike

Reply to
mike ring

"CliveM" wrote in news:IbmXc.19831$a66.7033 @fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Hope you haven't gone away, Clive; you can join in the fun, too.

(anyhow your answer was in there somewhere!)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hp.com writes

Prolly because he found it on a website somewhere and thought he could score some points

Reply to
raden

To convince yourself that education standards haven't dropped.

If your name is Mrs Clarke perhaps/

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Maxie, being brilliant I did score many points on that one. This fella went on and on and on...

Reply to
IMM

Nope - still here. Anyway the answer was 30mins for a standard cylinder,

15mins quick recovery.
Reply to
CliveM

Roughly, yes.

Reply to
IMM

Yes - you've reminded me of my undergraduate place interview at Imperial College. "Sketch the curve for the function sin(x)/x" I was asked, not having encountered it before. Of course the natural place to start is at x = 0... (anyway I was talked through it using L'Hopital's rule an a plausible curve ensued. I can't have muffed that interview too badly since they offered me place - which I turned down and went to Bangor instead. One of the Profs there (Alwyn Owens) had a saying "Education is a process of diminishing deception", simply meaning that simplifications had to be introduced in order to get started. I also remember one of the school physics teachers saying something similar: "in the 2nd form we tell you that light always travels in straight lines; later on, when we study diffraction, we admit we were lying." Fair enough. Unlike our resident kook, I don't see that any subject is debased by being introduced in a simplified form to people at an earlier age.

Agreed.

That's always a pity. We had one useless teacher in the maths department (whom I managed to avoid getting). The others were very inspiring.

I could not agree more. "It is virtuous to be able to analyse a circuit in great detail. It is more virtuous to be able recognise when no such analysis is necessary" - the great Peter Baxandall, writing in Wireless World.

Yes, it just refers to presence of a larger heat exchanger surface area. Most manufacturer's data sheets quote an area in m^2.

True, but "I've done good" never used to be acceptable in speech. It's not idiom, it's just wrong, IMO.

Ooh, I loathe that expression "can't be arsed". It's of quite recent origin; where did it come from? And what's wrong with "can't be bothered?"

Ebso farkin' lootly, as HRHTPOW might have put it.

Reply to
Andy Wade

A very good thing. I turned down IC, Nottingham and Newcastle.

I remember him well, and that saying, but I don't think he invented it.

He did, however, have a remarkable sense of hearing and was able to detect an individual creeping late into the back of a lecture theatre of 100 students while writing on the board. He had a photographic memory as well, because he could identify the individual (wasn't always the same one) and tell them to leave.

Were you there before or after the counterweight incident?

While comparing wih a tree?