Hot water cylinder in loft?

Hi All,

Any reason why i shouldn't site my indirect hot water cylinder in th loft ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

-- AbingdonBoy

Reply to
AbingdonBoy

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:11:37 +0000 someone who may be AbingdonBoy wrote this:-

Not really, provided it is adequately supported, properly insulated and you can still get the header tank above it.

However, you will probably have a long run of pipe to the most used hot tap, the kitchen one, which is not ideal.

Reply to
David Hansen

Adding a wrap of loft insulation round the cylinder is a good plan, and can substantially lower its energy loss. As you mention, this does not help with run-off losses. If you can route those so they also have an extra layer of insulation on top, it's a bonus.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The message from AbingdonBoy contains these words:

Headroom above it for the cold header, /and/ the vent pipe. If you can manage that - no problem.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Ian Stirling contains these words:

If it's in a loft where there's plenty of space you'd probably benefit from building a box round it to contain monster amounts of insulation. Lofts are cold and (shoudl be) well ventilated - for which read draughty. You'll lose heat very quickly from a tank up there compared to one in an airing cupboard.

Reply to
Guy King

Unless it's an unvented cylinder.

Reply to
Roger Mills

But then again, in an airing cupboard, you probably won't be able to put

300mm of insulation on each side. Anything draughtproof - including the sheath of many insulation types is fine.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

And; sufficient headroom to withdraw the immersion heater element when you need to replace it {assuming that the immersion heater boss is on the top of the cyclinder).

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I replaced my old direct (immersion) cylinder that was in the airing cupboard with an Albion Mainsflow Direct thermal store in the loft space above. It sits on the "raft" that was built to take the 50 gallon water tank - at about 175kg when full it weighs a little less than the old tank did.

The store is direct (no coil between it and the boiler) and it becomes the feed/expansion tank for the central heating/boiler primary circuit. A coil inside the store heats mains pressure cold water. It's very well insulated, but as other posters pointed out, it does no harm to add extra.

See

for a better explanation of how it works. It cost me about =A3600.

If you have a decent mains water supply, this is a good solution to provide high flow rates of mains pressure hot water (the shower is superb). Bear in mind that if you have hard water, I'd recommend an ion-exchange softener or phosphate doser so the heat exchanger doesn't scale up.

-Antony

Reply to
Antony

I replaced my old direct (immersion) cylinder that was in the airing cupboard with an Albion Mainsflow Direct thermal store in the loft space above. It sits on the "raft" that was built to take the 50 gallon water tank - at about 175kg when full it weighs a little less than the old tank did.

The store is direct (no coil between it and the boiler) and it becomes the feed/expansion tank for the central heating/boiler primary circuit. A coil inside the store heats mains pressure cold water. It's very well insulated, but as other posters pointed out, it does no harm to add extra.

See

for a better explanation of how it works. It cost me about £600.

If you have a decent mains water supply, this is a good solution to provide high flow rates of mains pressure hot water (the shower is superb). Bear in mind that if you have hard water, I'd recommend an ion-exchange softener or phosphate doser so the heat exchanger doesn't scale up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel