Hot water bottles

SWMBO bought a couple of hot water bottles. Made in England, which is good. But they both say to Not use boiling water, nor to use water from the domestic hot water system, as this may damage them. Which doesn't leave much else to fill them with!

Reply to
Davey

Remember "Whisky Galore"?

Reply to
charles

The boiling water one is so you don't get scalded if something goes wrong.

The domestic hot water system doing damage to what? Maybe its the chlorine that is still in the water from a combi or sealed system damaging the rubber?

Reply to
dennis

Sounds like these modern (in)sanitory fittings like toilet lid hinges where they say you're not supposed to use bleach on them!

Reply to
Bruno

Mine says not to use boiling water; to my simple mind that suggests that the water could damage the rubber. Also, it's too f'ot! It also says to boil the water then let it cool down to the correct temperature - no figure given - and not to add cold water. As it's butyl rubber, I suppose the chlorine in the cold water added coul perish the inside of the bottle. I do boil then add cold - got it to a fine art for getting the temperature that I want. The 2 bottles were from the 99p shop about 5 - 6 years ago, are well made and a good size. Boots wanted close to a fiver for a small, flimsy version. The bottle in use is still unperished inside.

Reply to
PeterC

Well, you could heat the water in a kettle but not quite boil it!

Are the bottles rubber, or the old stone type?

I frequently put boiling water into our rubber hot water bottles with no obvious ill effects. They're not going to last for ever anyway - and perish after a few years even if little used.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Our appears to be silicone rubber, and I fill it with boiling water, no problems. However it doesn't get used much, only in the event of illness.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I got fed up of hearing the missus scream each time she burned her thumb filling one up. So I got an electric one. One of the best things I ever bought. Not much good if you like them really really hot, but it does stay hot for longer. Probably full of some sort of gel.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Any makers contact information, write to them and ask what you are supposed to fill their "hot" water bottles with if not "hot water"?

The ones we have a rubber (not silicone) one in pretty much daily use for the last 5+ years no signs of perishing. Filled from the electric kettle a few tens of seconds after it has clicked off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Hot" is not the same as "boiling". I can remember water coming out of a kettle that was still boiling being used in my childhood. (Before teh days of auto-shutoff).

Reply to
charles

Yep: I remember being instructed, as a c.9 year-old, by my Dad not to use boiling water as it would perish the rubber. And things (everything) were expensive in them days[1].

John [1] Except fish and chips, iirc.

Reply to
Another John

My missus uses what she calls a "wheat bag" - a small sack full of grains, which she puts in the microwave for 2 mins. She's had it for year and years and years. (Personally, I use an electric blanket: gawddddd.... nothing like it!! :-)

J.

Reply to
Another John

It doesn't apparently say "not hot" it says "not boiling".

Reply to
Tim Streater

Haven't seen one since me mum and dad's in the 70's. But yes, sheer luxury. If they still make them, I'll suggest it to SWBO.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Hmm, also I notice the uk made ones still use a very narrow neck and grotty rubber washers. However I have one I've had for years with a much wider filling hole and a screw in stopper that as double seals of a king that do not seem to go sticky and perish after a year of so. The water aspect is them covering themselves against claims. Of course you don't put actual boiling water in them as that would be na dangerous at fill time and in use at the start, but the not using domestic water is a bit strange. I don't see any reason why it should matter what water you use, personally and its never affected any bottles here. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I never use them myself but I remember filling one from a freshly boiled ke ttle a few years ago for my wife. I poured the very hot water in the openi ng and it came gushing out the bottom. Luckily it was sitting in the sink at the time. Since then I have started with cold (tap) water and topped up with boiled water from the kettle to get to the correct temperature.

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

a hot water bottle that can't take boiling water is not fit for purpose IMHO.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hot water bottles are dangerous for kids and the elderly. If you make them too hot then they can cause burns if someone can't move away from them. I like the microwavable ones they had in lidl. They have some sort of phase change gel in them so they stay *warm* for a long time but you don't have to make them hot. Anyone that fills a water bottle with boiling water is going to get someone hurt sooner or later.

Reply to
dennis

Agreed. Our domestic hot water is softened, and I really don't see what the problem could be. I might give them a call to ask.

Reply to
Davey

It's probably a legal arse cover: DHW and boiling water are both capable of first degree burns on baby's bottom, hence warning.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher