Hot Water and Central Heating System Upgrade

Hi All

I have a rather antiquated CH/HW programmer switch which is a simple wheel with plastic on off bits - red and blue. I can set the HW and CH seperately and want to retain this feature. I would however like to be able to have more control over the times of day the CH and HW can be turned on and also to have different settings for the weekend.

I would also like to replace my very old room stat with a new wireless one. I have removed the old stat from the wiring as I've had the hallway re-plastered and the heating will no longer come on unless I set the valve I have to manual by moving a handle at the side and turning the HW on. I guess whats happening here is that there is no signal coming from the room stat and becuase of this the motorised valve is not working thus why im having to set it to manual?

I looked at the FAQ and I beleive I have a Y plan system. The system is as follows:

programmer as above which goes into a Honeywell wiring junction box (whats this thing called?)I then have wires that go to my cylinder stat, room stat which I removed, to my valve (mid position), boiler and pump.

What I would also ideally want is heating control in each room however I dont want to install a TRV as Im using the old eastbrook classic valves that look like taps. Is there any other option I have?

Is replacing the time switch or programmer with a new one as simple as replacing it copying the existing wiring, should I be aware of any gotchas?

Anyone know of a decent wireless room stat, I'd like to be able to set different temperatures at different times of the day.

Oh and one more thing, my hot water is scalding hot and whatever I do to the cylider stat doesn't appear to make any difference, should I turn the boiler down, its currently running at max or do you think I need a new cyclinder stat?

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard