Hot V Cold Fill washing Machines

Came across this link when looking at previous thread but didn't get round to posting it. Also follow embedded ink on smells slime and black mould.

bert

Just to add to that - machines are made for use in several countries (no one makes washing machines in the UK anymore). Non-bio washing detergent pretty much vanished from all the EU about 20 years ago, except for the UK, and a few other areas where the brits are found in significant numbers (e.g. Spanish holiday resorts). That's partly why no one makes any machines with programs for non-bio detergents with hot fill anymore.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

As long as Danny Baker does not turn up at my front door with a packet of Daz and a film crew then I am OK

Reply to
ARW

Interesting. I noticed a lot of slime behind the door seal t'other day - we near-always use 40deg, even though it's got a hot fill. The combi at the old house took a while to run hot, the new place has about a mile of pipe between the cylinder & utility room.

It's set for an overnight 90deg clean-out wash...

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Non-bio are essential for certain fabrics such as Gortex

Reply to
bert

Goretex don't mention this. They are very specific about what mustn't be used, such as any fabric conditioner or chlorine based bleach.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What about oxygen-based bleach on Goretex? I don't wash any Goretex in the machine as I have no Goretex garments and the one pair of shoes would just wedge across the drum.

Reply to
PeterC

I read that a few years ago. I'd used Ecover liquid at 30 and 40 and was getting the yuk. Changed to Bio-D liquid and not only was the result better but most of the yuk er, yukked off. Now some washes are done using Ecover powder, non-bio, oxygen bleach and prety well all of the black/brown stuff has gone - more than service washes ever managed to do.

Reply to
PeterC

Well, in the washing detergent section, it says no bleach, and in the bleach section, it says no chlorine bleach. So it's not 100% clear, but it gives a number to call.

I don't think the regular washing detergents have contained chlorine based bleaching agents for many decades - they have used other bleaching agents (but check the ingredients label on yours rather than taking thet for granted). Chlorine can also make GRP go brittle, which many washing machine outer drums have been made of for 30+ years, so the machines themselves often say not to use chlorine in them.

Goretex garments may well contain other fabrics/materials with more restrictive washing instructions than the goretex itself requires, so you need to check the labels.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't take any chances with Goretex (& similar "technical" things); I use Nikwax Tech Wash after cleaning out the drawer.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I read recently (in _Which?_, I think) that the UK is just about the only market where bio & non-bio versions of the same products are sold; but they must have non-bio detergents in other places for use on wool & silk (if nothing else)?

Adam Funk

Yes, I suppose they have specific products wool etc. (much like you can buy specific wool wash here) (I note it says bio and non-bio versions of the same product)

Reply to
chris French

and I have a problem with bio detergerents, in that my skin is allegic to the residue left after the modern "low water" rinse. So, all my socks need rinsing by hand after the machine rinse. The final rinse water water gets qute a bit of something in it.

Reply to
charles

Sounds like you're filling the machine too full, so it's not properly moving about.

Reply to
Adrian

There is an article (on that website we all keep citing) that says that _Which?_ considers almost all modern washing machines to be bad at rinsing.

Adam Funk

... and at washing - not the cleanlyness, but wear. They can't use enough water anymore to immerse the clothes. They work by rubbing the damp clothes together. This wears the fabric much faster than the machines of 10 years ago which work by lifting the clothes out of the water and dropping back in (or for very delicate fabrics, by agitating the clothes without lifting them out of the water).

If you have an older machine, I would not be in any hurry to get rid of it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, ARTFL! Thanks for the info. I tend to go at laundry the same as gardening: chainsaw and bulldozer (except for a very few good items and all the Paramo).

Reply to
PeterC

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Does on the coat label - at least on my Berghaus gor-tex coat and also on my Keela Munro coat (as used by Mountain rescue teams).

Reply to
bert

I wonder, however, how much that can be offset by washing most laundry at lower temperatures.

Reply to
Adam Funk

.

The above is true. The way to offset it is to put less laundry in the machine (or more water if the water level is adjustable in your machine.)

Some people are affected by residues of detergents in clothing if not properly rinsed. Often they are not aware of the cause of their various skin troubles.

Reply to
harryagain