Hot plaster

Went into Wickes and bought a bad of Thistle Multifinish. As I picked it up off the pallet which had been delivered sometime in the previous couple of hours (wasn't there when I went in earlier), I noticed it was warm. Initially I thought it might have been standing in the sun, but on further investigation, the bags in the middle of the pallet were actually much hotter. I guess it must have been delivered very shortly after coming out of the kiln (or it's all got wet and is going off, but it was bone dry;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

^^^ bag

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Does this Multi-Finish Plaster contain Lime? Is it true that if you compress lime hard enough, it gets hot? Some kind of reaction with pressure and chemicals I think.

Reply to
BigWallop

I doubt it

I suppose so on a cosmic scale, but not on this scale

Yes its the chemical reaction of production which I don't know the details of but it means that you have lovely fresh gypsum

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

That's what it is. Loverly fresh Gypsum stuff. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I occasionally see warm plaster etc in out B and Q.

If its warmer in the middle, then its very fresh and not yet cooled down from manufacture.

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

I've noticed the same with bags of cement, also from Wickes.

Andrew

Reply to
google

Or it was damp, and hhas now absorbed the mosture...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's fresh from the manufacturer. This also happens with cement.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Its the same with dog turds too.

Reply to