hot miniature transformer

Unfortunately yes. I've measured a few of these

Reply to
Tony Williams

Quick correction on that. The RCD feeding the Safeblock had tripped. It does get hot - near enough too hot to touch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That might be the case, but it usually isnt, and we certainly cant assume it is - therefore we can not conclude its safe, and it probably isnt. Therefore a risk is present. If its the PSu case thats that hot. Even if its the TF itself, 60C no load is still a far call from 'we're confident its safe.'

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Some actual results from a 9-0-9 250mA chassis transformer - brand new.

Open circuit after approx 1 hour measured on the top of the clamp - 68 C Approx half load (136 ohm resistors)""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" - 55 C

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They do indeed run hot. If its not over 100C its probably safe to run tho - insulation tends to go at 200-400C and most irons start to get dodgy magnetic wise at over 150C.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I agree 100%.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You had me worried with your previous post ;-)

So there you go, small transformers run hot.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

I am not surprised by this result.

Reply to
Scott Mills

Thats not a very good design then.. How would the designer know if the transformer was always going to be loaded or not?

Reply to
BillV

Woukd sem to be a bit pointless if not loaed.

Why not leave it out altogether.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher