Hot melt glue

Have just run out of the hot melt glue sticks that came with my hot glue guns - both 11 and 7 mm.

Not being a big user, this is the first time I have had to buy some. Suddenly I realise that I have no idea if I should just look for the cheapest? Or some particular make or type? Any good sources?

Reply to
polygonum

You need the glue for the materials you intend to use and whether it is for permanent or temporary use. Some have longer open time than others.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

CPC do big bags of sticks (e.g. 100 sticks to a bag) - been working my way through on of those for years now ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Suppose I am not surprised that there are multiple types, but most listings give no special attributes. Just want "general" as I have no idea what I might use it on.

Reply to
polygonum

I'll check them. Thanks.

Reply to
polygonum

One point... the sticks for different purposes look identical:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Are all glue sticks for ordinary use more or less the same quality?

Reply to
pamela

Fwiw... Aldi ones are cheap when available. I'm told HDPE works as hot glue.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not all - I have some opaque yellow ones, intended for wood.

Reply to
S Viemeister

But I doubt there is much difference between one general purpose stick and another.

Reply to
John Rumm

In Aldi today (Northampton) and there were glue guns and sticks available. I've never used or needed one, but was tempted.

Reply to
PeterC

One of those tools you'll wonder how you ever managed without.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, rather like the Bosch multitool.

Reply to
PeterC

Even if you only ever hot glue stuff to hold it still while the other glue goes off.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The Toolstation sticks are ok in the Bosch gun

Reply to
Stuart Noble

absolutely right .... if you were gluing a large item - unless you choose a long open time... it would have set before you finished applying the run of glue ...

Reply to
rick

Trouble being not having any idea what might be round the next corner that desperately wants to be hot glued!

Reply to
polygonum

I don't know what you lot use it for, I've not used mine in decades. Must be right up there in the list of most useless purchases.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr