Hot air stripper on water based paint

I was stripping a door frame over the weekend and found a section of the undercoat wouldn't come off. I realised that that was over a piece that I had patched in recently and which had been painted with a water based primer and undercoat.

This led me to wonder whether because water based paint contains no oil if it is not susceptible to blistering when heated and so cannot be stripped in this way.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

But Nitromors will. :-)

Reply to
George

Correct. Tis one of the penalties for using water based stuff. The modern oil based is not much better though. :((

Reply to
EricP

Although if that is the only penalty then it is a small price to pay. I rather like the water based undercoats. Seem to cover well, quick to dry so can be rubbed down and recoated after a couple of hours and wash the brushes in water. I use the Dulux Trade variety. Are there any decent water based satinwood type topcoats available yet? I would like to give one a try to see if it stays whiter any longer than the oil based stuff.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May