Hot Air Guns / Plastic Welding

I have been looking around at various heat guns and I came across Plastic Welding Rods Ldpe and Hdpe and Pvc.

is a world I'm not at all familiar with. What sort of applications are these used for?

Also has anyone a view on the Steinel hot air guns? I have not heard of them before...

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Some years back I had a large industrial area covered in a very heavy vinyl lino stuff, and they joined the sheets by cutting out a 'U' shape with a sharp tool and plastic welded the join using a special hot air tool (Lester TRIAC iirc), then they trimmed off the flash to leave a seemless join. It lasted 15 years until we vacated the premises.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , RzB writes

Not used them for plastic welding (they were/are sold in bumper repair kits) but I used to use two or three different ones for removing surface mount chips from motherboards, they were excellent with good control over the temperature and very repeatable results were easy to obtain. They're also good for lighting barbecues according to a colleague.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Andrew/Clint,

Thanks for your interesting responses.

I ordered a Steinel Hg2310 today, Hopefully it will the bees knees!

I'm still intrigued at the sort of things people (particularly professionals) are using them for...

Roy

Reply to
RzB

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "RzB" saying something like:

There's a healthy market for plastic repairs of car bumpers and bike fairings. Given the cost of new ones, it's not surprising.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon