hot air guns and soldering copper pipes

v.m.t. x 4

(e&oe on the 4)

Reply to
Robin

I've used 2 canisters I think (maybe plus the original) although one of these was double sized. That's a whole central heating system, and completely replacing all the plumbing in the kitchen and bathroom, and new 28mm gas feed full length of the house, all done in end-feed capilliary fittings. Plus the odd bit of plumbing for other people.

The double sized canister can make it harder to use the blowlamp in small corners.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They will work. Contrary to what some have said they have more than sufficient output and temperature to melt solder on 15 or 22mm pipe - I use one quite often for just this although the application is rather unusual.

However - they are far from ideal for domestic plumbing jobs as they take some time and have far too much heat spread with the risk of damaging surrounding items, a blowlamp is much better.

Advantages - none really. Disadvantages - take too long, cause damage to surrounds.

Hot air gun isn't it.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Peter Parry has brought this to us :

I agree.

They work under ideal conditions - making bits of pipe up on the bench, but for anything else use a gas blow lamp.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield