Hot Air Central Heating

Hi I have Jemplair hot air central heating that is coming up for 15 years old. I also have a maintenance contract with Scottish Gas. I have had a letter from them saying that as the heating is reaching the end of it's life I might consider replacing it. I quite like the hot air heating but my wife would prefer radiators. Would replacing the hot air system with radaitors lead to a significant reduction/increase in my gas/electric costs. At the moment we leave the heating on all day and are paying £23 month direct debit for gas and £25 month for electric, though I expect that to go up shortly.

What would be the savings in electricity using a pump instead of a fan and heating water instead of air? And should I just wait until Scottish Gas decide that it is no longer economical to service my heating as I am in no hurry to change or replace it?(no money)

All comments and advice welcome Thanks Ron

Reply to
ron

If it works, keep it. I suspect that no economic case can be made for replacement whilst the system still functions, even if (especially if?) SG decides not to maintain it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Keep it. You like it and no rads on walls to leak water. Johnson & Starley make replacement units that are state of the art with electrostatic air filters, variable speed fans, modulating gas burners, sophisticated electronic controls, etc. The modern units are much quieter. You can always add a heat recovery fresh air vent unit too. Fresh air all the time in the house.

registers and grills are also available to totally revamp the whole thing. It is usually cheaper to run than boilers systems. J&S have an add on condensing unit that is inserted into a conventional flue in the loft to improve efficiency. Some USA units by Lennox and Trane have built in condensing in forced flues.

Reply to
IMM

Remember Scottish Gas is the Scottish arm of British Gas.... If you did replace it, don't get SG/BG to do it.

David Hearn

I don't normally write sarcastic comments but I take it you don't live in Scotland or you would never have said that. Do you think I'm that stupid?

Reply to
ron

Hmm, not quite sure which way to take that - either Scottish Gas is the only Corgi up there (unlikely) or you don't part with money easily and therefore wouldn't have chosen to use SG to replace it anyway.

The reason I thought you might consider using SG to replace it, is that you already have a maintenance contract with SG, which AFAIK most people here think is a rip-off and the money is better spent saving for a new system. £150 pa for 10 years would pay for a new boiler.

Sorry if I offended you!

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I don't even get my gas from them.

Hi I was on holiday in Newbury once and was in a pub. The barman said to me is that a Scottish accent,you must come from Scotland. Do you know Tom McDonald. No says I, but you must, he comes from Scotland. How many people do you think live in Scotland say I. 2 or 3 thousand says he. No wonder I get touchy sometimes.

In Scotland there is no "BRITISH GAS" it is SCOTTISH GAS. When I bought this house new in Dec 1991 I had a 2 year free maintenance contract and when I got a letter from Scottish Gas asking if I wanted to continue with the contract I asked the site manager, as houses were still being built, if he thought I should take it out. He said definitely yes. I also found out that my house was one of the last to have this type of heating, the houses that were being completed then now had radiators. So far I have needed a new fan unit, 3 thermocouples and a timer. I calculated it out that it probably would have cost me what I've already paid them to pay for that and have it serviced every year. I know that it is a rip of but what else can someone do, given that advice from the person in charge of building the house?

Ron

Reply to
ron