Hosepipe ban

Unfortunately, its not that simple. I mean, I ccould use a hose pipe to connect up a shower in an outhouse, but then its just supplying water to another bit of the house.

I think the point is that you should not use constantly running water to do things for long periods of time. its all very odd as it seem that some golf courses are exempt. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Rich people and politicians' playground...

Reply to
Tim Watts

To be fair, many business water use activities are also exempt - even commercial vehicle washing in some cases.

Reply to
John Rumm

In the past I was advised by Southern Water something similar to this was OK, I had a system to drain shower water via a hose direct to the veg garden.

The use of hoses isn't "absolute". For example. I normally use a hose to fill my motorhome water tank. I'm sure that will be permitted. I couldn't, however, wash the vehicle.

(Fancy seeing you here Ian).

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay.

In message , Brian Reay. writes

(I've been here for some time!)

Reply to
Ian Jackson

What would they say if you dropped a siphon hose into the Waveny and hooked it up to your own water pump? ;-)

Reply to
John F. Morse

In message , Ian Jackson writes

Who else remembers that the premise for privatisation of water under the tories in the early '70s was that private money would be put into replacing the infrastructure

yeah ... like f*ck

Reply to
geoff

They do consume less than a running hose, but nowhere near as little as washing with a bucket. Since I run my pressure washer from a water butt, it's very clear to me how much it uses.

I never saw a pressure washer without a hose. Maybe they'll invent one where the jet is fixed and the car is moved around on a platform...

Generally, you can't use a pressure washer with water obtained from your water mains since 5th April. You can collect grey water (i.e. water which has been used for washing) and reuse that though.

In the rules I looked at, drip irrigation of plant pots is still allowed in some circumstances. Irrigation of the ground isn't though.

All these rules can vary by area, so need to check with your supplier.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We had a drought in the late 80's or early 90's (can't recall exactly, just where I was living at the time) with a hosepipe ban. Through that, I saved the bathwater (let it cool down whilst I was at work, and then pumped it over the garden when I got back in the evening using an old washing machine drain pump coupled up to the pushfit waste where it came out of the wall.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The regs I read said the hose can't be used with water supplied via the mains since 5th April. If you have stored water which was supplied via the mains before 5th April, that would be OK. I'm surprised I didn't hear anyone suggest filling your water butt by hose on 4th April, although there's no point here, as it's been raining pretty constantly since the drought order started, and water butts are all overflowing anyway;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's what drought orders are for. They make it rain, if you remember what happened in 1976. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

Does that mean he can wash mine too?

Reply to