Hosepipe ban

This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers? These consume very little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a car.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Unless you are dribbling water into the device with a jug which part of "Hosepipe Ban" did you not understand? Use of, feeding of other appliances, etc... You're still using it ! So it's banned.... Simplez

Reply to
Nthkentman

I should imagine so.

Maybe you could fill an IBC by bucket, then use the pressure washer from the IBC?

Reply to
Andy Burns

A hard piped in pressure washer mounted on a garage wall does not have a hose pipe.

What is an IBC?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A hard piped in pressure washer mounted on a garage wall does not have a hose pipe.

I assume these permanent irrigation setups on timers are exempt.

What is an IBC?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A hard piped in pressure washer mounted on a garage wall does not have a hose pipe.

I assume these permanent irrigation setups on timers are exempt.

What is an IBC?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Andy Burns

What you say is no different to taking a Karcher from a pipe fed from a tank in the loft. The tank is not directly connected to the main pipe.

Does this ban include those who have their own wells/streams?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , Nthkentman writes

I think you'll find that there are loads of apparent 'sillinesses' with the hosepipe ban.

For example, I believe you can't water the garden (certainly not directly) by siphoning off your dirty bath water with a hose - even though, with an upstairs bathroom, this would be pretty simple thing to do. Of course, as you could be getting around the ban by constantly filling the bath, there is a definite case for the ban applying.

In other situations, the sense of ban may not be obvious - and in some cases it may be even counter-productive. For example, I don't think you can even use a hosepipe for the rainwater you have so carefully collected in your storage butt. However, I suppose it's easier to apply a 'one size fits all' rule. I'm sure that the water companies have better things to do than to deal with an endless stream (no pun intended!) of requests for exemptions, and also a string of vigilante claims of seeing the innocent and harmless use of hosepipes (such as using a hosepipe to siphon the bath water into a storage butt).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Not simplez.

Hosepipes are not banned.

Their use is banned for a number of purposes, listed here:

is also permitted for a number of other purposes.

The above is not an absolute definition - but seems a fairly general summary.

eg if you were concreteing or plastering, I do not think you'd have any complaints from the use of hose for mixing and washing tools.

What they don't want is people running sprinklers all day long and filling paddling pools - TBH I fail to see the issue with giving the car a spray off after washing - probbaly uses less water than chucking buckets over it - but there you go, that is a specifically banned item. Theoretically, the commercial car wash machines recycle.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Last time around, pressure washers were explicitly permitted IIRC, but the law has been rewritten since so est to check again.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Blue Badge holders are automatically exempt, too.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

And dennis will be out with his clipboard and hi viz jacket taking details and grassing on his neighbours.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Apparently you can. For example

"Customers may water their gardens:

- By hand, using a bucket or watering can.

- With greywater through a hosepipe.

- Using rainwater from a water butt by hand or through a hosepipe."

The Water Use (Temporary Bans) Order 2010 definition of ?using a hosepipe? is:-

3.(1) Using a hosepipe, in relation to a purpose in section 76(2) of the Act, includes the following?

(a) drawing relevant water through a hosepipe from a container and applying it for the purpose;

(b )filling or partly filling a container with relevant water by means of a hosepipe and applying it for the purpose.

("the Act" being the Water Industry Act 1991 as amended by the Flood and Water Management Act 2010

You cannot fill your bath with fresh water and siphon it off, you can use gray (used) water from your bath as it is no longer "relevant water" ( mains water supplied by the water undertaker).

Reply to
Peter Parry

why don't you read the regulations instead of saying "I believe". The hosepipe in question needs to be connected to the mains water supply. The ban does not apply to those fed from waterbuts, etc.

Reply to
charles

with Veola Water a doctor's note is also required.

Reply to
charles

So fill the bath, wash you hands in it, then water the garden ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Homer Simpson would be proud of you:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Its not even that simple... you could use a hose to re-fill a pond with fresh mains water that is maintaining fish for example...

Each of the different water companies publish slightly different lists of allowable activities.

Still on of the advantages of living is Essex (as I am sure Dribble will attest) is no hosepipe ban at the moment ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

drink several gallons of tapwater, and piss on the roses...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher