Hose connection question

Nick Maclaren wrote: [...]

Come on! You don't expect us to take that lying down, do you? Description, please.

Reply to
Mike Lyle

A Bakelite (I think) tube about 6" long and 1/2" diameter with a cap that pulls off to release two steel rods. Those fit through holes in the tube (at right angles). He was a marine engineer, so it could have been a device for measuring the wear on engine cylinders. Or something.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Hi Nick

I have once in 30 years come across a 7/8" BSP tap. Lewisham Council used them on the ground floor of tower blocks. The taps are for washing the bin areas, but they got huge water bill because the residents used them for car washing.

They changed all the tap threads to 7/8" so the residents can't connect to them.

On a similar basis, I did hear that Ford Motor Co in Dagenham have all their

3 pin 230v sockets & plugs made with the earth pin horizontal and the live/neutral vertical. It was to stop the theft of plugs which cost Ford a fortune every year.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Close, its just the earth pin that is different.

See:

course with the right contacts you can equip your house with the correct sockets ;-)

Reply to
Fred

In article , Fred writes: |> "David Lang" wrote: |> |> >On a similar basis, I did hear that Ford Motor Co in Dagenham have all their |> >3 pin 230v sockets & plugs made with the earth pin horizontal and the |> >live/neutral vertical. It was to stop the theft of plugs which cost Ford a |> >fortune every year. |> |> Close, its just the earth pin that is different. |> |> See: |>

It is generally the case that the cost of the bureaucracy to stop such petty theft, including the extra costs of special fittings, paper etc. costs 2-3 times as much as the theft. This applies to headed envelopes, MOD toilet paper and so on. But it is money well spent, according to dogma.

This does not apply to systematic, organised theft, both because the losses are much higher and because the cost of stopping it is much lower.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Hi Fred

Makes sense, cheaper & just as effective.

ROFL!

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Well as I said earlier in the thread I have come across hose fittings which are nearly, but not quite, 3/4" BSP. Not the taps themselves but intermediate bits which *should* have been able to interface with standard 3/4" but wouldn't. On inspection it was obvious that the thread pitch was slightly different.

Reply to
usenet

We used to use the ones with /all/ pins rotated 90degrees from normal for technical services. Some had double pole fusing often replaced by copper links.

These were manufactured by Walsall.

The truly evil one was the D&S ones, with a screw in fuse as the live pin. Sometimes the fuse remained in the socket leaving a live bit sticking out. Ouch!

Reply to
<me9

Museum

Actually, I find I do feel like a nice lie-down.

Reply to
Mike Lyle