Hoovering glass fibre loft insulation (particles pass thru bag?)

I recently hoovered some parts of my loft which has a lot of loose glass fibre "wool" insulation which was put down about 18 years ago.

Is it likely the smaller particles of this sort of glass fibre would be small enough to pass through my vaccuum cleaner's paper bag where the waste normally gathers?

I don't want blow glass fibre dust into the air the next time I use the vaccuum cleaner in the house!

Reply to
David Peters

Don't risk it. Anything which gets through will be the finer particles which can get deeper into your lungs etc.

Throw the old bag away, take vacuum cleaner outside and run it for a short time, fit new bag. (Warnings about glass fibre seem to have increased over recent years.)

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Bag? Good grief! This is the 21st century, not the 19th.

alte Hexenmeister

Reply to
Der alte Hexenmeister

Allow me to rephrase the question: Are you *so* cheap that you are willing to put the health of every air-breather in the house at risk to save yourself the expense of a paper bag?

Tom Davidson Richmond, VA

Reply to
tadchem

I guess you failed the comprehension test then.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I guess you are an idiot, then. Don't call us, we'll call you.

*plonk* Der alte Hexenmeister.
Reply to
Der alte Hexenmeister

It seems that Rob is right. The original poster appeared to be worried about glass particles going right through the bag and, I guess, into the vacuum cleaner itself, to then be ejected later. (He was not abolsutely clear, but he DID mention them going through the bag.) Perhaps he should just vacuum the flat, then throw away the whole vacuum cleaner. That way he can save the cost of buying a new bag.

RGV

Reply to
arvee

The reviews I have read of the poorer centrifugal vaccuum cleaners say that they are less effective than the "bag" cleaners.

As for Dyson, it is definitely effective but is one of the most unreliable and overpriced of vaccuum cleaners.

Reply to
David Peters

he too cheap to buy his significant other a decent vacuum cleaner? He can keep the old one for the garden shed.

I dropped my last pickled onion on my kitchen floor. Should it throw it away or eat it?

Der alte Hexenmeister.

Reply to
Der alte Hexenmeister

My Dyson cost me £2.50 for a new belt and a walk to the rubbish pile where I first "bought" it. I amazes me what people throw away, or why anyone would ask a physics newsgroup if they should save the cost of a a paper bag. Google HEPA filter.

Der alte Hexenmeister.

Reply to
Der alte Hexenmeister

> Is he too cheap to buy his significant other a decent vacuum cleaner?

Why would you want to throw away or eat the kitchen floor? Why not simply clean it?

RGV

Reply to
arvee

>>> Is he too cheap to buy his significant other a decent vacuum cleaner?

I don't know how to without emptying my vac. It has cat hair in it. Having no bag, I don't know how to empty it. I ate the broom, the cat sleeps in the dustpan. I could vacuum the cat, I suppose... he'd look good in a Dyson. Der alte Hexenmeister.

Reply to
Der alte Hexenmeister

I was hoping a physics group would know the particle size of glass fibre dust. I would be interested in having that data.

Also if you know the particle size which a vaccuum bag is designed to filter then that would be the other data I would like to have.

My vaccuum cleaner does not have a HEPA filter. Are you a vaccuum cleaner salesman? :-) As a foot note I have copied some Dyson info for you which may explain why I am not attracted to getting one.

My existing vaccuum cleaner works perfectly well for me but I am not sure if I should be using it in general to clean my loft.

David

+++++++++++++++++ BEGIN DYSON-OLOGY +++++++++++++++++++++++++

To address your person interest in Dyson, this is copied from the UK Comsumers Association report in Which? magazine. First they list the Best Buy models:

Bosch BSG 71810 GB Formula Bosch BSG 82000GB Ergomaxx Electrolux ZO 6352 Oxy 3 System Miele S571 / S210 Miele Xtra Power 2300 / Automatic TT 5000 Miele S4210

---------------------------- QUOTE ----------------------------- "In recent times, the only uprights we?ve found that clean as well as the Best Buy cylinders have been Dysons. The Dyson DC14 All Floors and its newest model, the Dyson DC15 (also known as The Ball) did outstandingly well in our tests. The problem is that Dyson?s reliability is consistently below average"

---------------------------- UNQUOTE ----------------------------

Also the CA reader survey found:

Upright vacuum cleaners PER CENT WHO WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND DYSON = 39% NUMBER OF REPLIES FOR DYSON = 3,652 TOTAL NUMBER OF REPLIES = 7,061

Cylinder vacuum cleaners PER CENT WHO WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND DYSON = 37% NUMBER OF REPLIES FOR DYSON = 723 TOTAL NUMBER OF REPLIES = 3,990

Bosch was around 50%, Sebo 68%, Miele 77%, etc.

+++++++++++++++++ END DYSON-OLOGY +++++++++++++++++++++++++
Reply to
David Peters

"Should you still need help and advice with your Glass Fibre Project you can now call us direct on:

01268 696094

No. Now retired, I was a flight simulation engneer.

'm one those rare individuals with common sense who does not read reviews but judges a product by its merits, not the paid-for opinions of the product's competitors or the manufacturer's advertising. A celebrity judges beauty queens, an engineer judges engineering.

The inventor of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle, Arthur Davidson, died and went to heaven. At the gates, St. Peter told Arthur, "Since you've been such a good man and your motorcycles have changed the world, your reward is, you can hang out with anyone you want in Heaven." Arthur thought about it for a minute and then said, "I want to hang out with God."

St. Peter took Arthur to the Throne Room, and introduced him to God.

God recognized Arthur and commented, "Okay, so you were the one who invented motorcycles, eh?!"

Arthur said, "Yeah, that's me..."

God commented: "Well, what's the big deal in inventing something that's pretty unstable, makes noise and pollution, and can't run without a road?!

Arthur was apparently embarrassed, but finally spoke,"Excuse me, but aren't you the inventor of woman?"

God said, "Ah, yes."

"Well," said Arthur, "professional to professional, you have some major design flaws in your invention:

  1. There's too much inconsistency in the front-end protrusion;
  2. It chatters constantly at high speeds;
  3. Most of the rear ends are too soft and wobble too much;
  4. The intake is placed way too close to the exhaust;
  5. And the maintenance costs are outrageous!!"

Hmmmm, you may have some good points there," replied God, "hold on."

God went to his Celestial supercomputer, typed in a few words and waited for the results. The computer printed out a slip of paper and God read it.

"Well, it may be true that my invention is flawed," God said to Arthur,"but according to these numbers, more men are riding my invention than yours."

How kind of you. I shall retain my free Dyson that had a broken belt, I obtained £15 for my old vacuum cleaner which contributed to a bottle of Glenlivet.

Reply to
Der alte Hexenmeister

Only get an answering machine. Thank you for locating that. The site does not suggest they concern themselves with loose glass fibre unless there is resin and hardener to be poured over it.

> Also if you know the particle size which a vaccuum bag is

as a blessing.

Wouldn't your sort of background better suit one of those poorly attended newsgroups like comp.simulation or even microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation ?

"Rare"? Hmmm. It worries me when someone believes themselves as having a perspicacity that few others in the world possess.

Seems to be a way of saying, "The rest of the world is usually wrong but I am usually right". All personality disorders have that characteristic in common. :-(

-- snip --

Hey! I suggest you lay of the hard liquor when posting. :-)

Seriously, you can probably see more clearly now why I do not want a Dyson.

Reply to
David Peters

Surreal.

It's like listening to Weizenbaum's ELIZA.

ELIZA has no intelligence at all but gives the vague impression that it might do.

Onw way to get out of a losing discussion is to confuse others. of course, nobody is actually impressed. But no onlooker says anything in case you change your mind and stick around. That would be the worst outcome for everybody.

Reply to
David Peters

The other way is to snip, which is a ploy muggles often use. Trolls and muggles are best answered with *plonk*.

Androcles Dumbledore, headmaster, hogwarts.physics. (der alte Hexenmeister)

Reply to
Der alte Hexenmeister