Honeywell Y-Plan operating instructions needed

As you can guess from the title, I have a Y-Plan central heating system. The 3 way valve controller has a lever on it and there appears to be two positions for it to be in. Left, marked as Auto and right, marked as Manual. For some reason (probably by mistake by the previous owners) the lever has always been at a position midway between Auto and Manual.

Dumb question I know, but what is the difference between Auto & Manual? When I experimentally move the lever to Manual it feels like there is some internal gearing that is being moved as there is slight resistance to motion.

The only instructions that I can find on the web are how to install Y-Plan systems. What I want to know is how to operate the system and why I should want Manual instead of Auto and vice-versa.

Incidentally, I have noticed that when the hot water comes on but not the central heating, some of the radiators that are close to the hot water tank and the central heating control gear, heat up. Could this be a symptom of the (presumed) incorrect setting?

Thanks.

Reply to
Rob Horton

Manual?

resistance

this be

Yes, the valve should be set to auto, manual is used for testing, and maintenance (draining etc) - water is being allowed to flow through both the HW and CH irrespective of what the control system is calling for.

It is possible that the valve is faulty, not uncommon, and the lever has been purposely set to allow the system to work.

Reply to
Jerry

The valve has 3 positions:

  • HW only (the rest position, when unpowered)
  • HW + CH (the mid position)
  • CH only

Depending on the heating demands generated by the control system (programmer, room and cylinder thermostats, etc.) a low-geared motor in the actuator moves the valve to either the mid or CH-only position. A spring returns the valve to the HW-only position when power is removed from the motor.

In normal operation, the lever must be in the Auto position. The manual position forces the valve into the mid-position and is useful when filling the system - or as a short-term fix if the motor fails, since it then allows you to get some water to your radiators, which wouldn't otherwise be possible.

If the valve is in the HW-only position, and you move the lever to Manual, you will feel some resistance since the gearing has to spin the motor at high speed. When the valve has moved to the mid or CH-only position by the motor, the lever doesn't do anything - and moves quite freely.

If in the summer, when you only want hot water, the valve is manually moved away from the HW-only position, the radiators will indeed get hot while the HW is being heated.

HTH.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Indeed it does. Thanks.