homebrew sonos

Spotify on Linux PC - check Spotcommander remote on tablet & mobile - check Linux streaming apps abound - halfcheck

So HTF do I connect my trad WiFi to a resultant 'stream'??

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Not really diy but....

You don't connect your WiFi to the stream (the stream is already using your WiFi connection if set up correctly) - you connect a device, usually Android powered, with media player client software on it to the stream. This device would then be connected using bluetooth or a wired connection to the speaker.

The easiest way of doing this is to use Google Play Music to stream music to a Chromecast device connected to a television with audio output connected to speakers. It requires no technical knowledge and the setup works out of the box.

It costs about £30 plus the cost of the speaker compared to £350 for a Sonos 5 (plus a bridge).

Reply to
Gareth Davies

Did you perhaps mean "trad HiFi"?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

As an IT pro for many years could you restate that in english?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

you are a scholar sir!

Bloody Android auto correct!!

NB Is it really as hard as TurNiP is making out?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

in what sense?!

OK "hifi" got autocorrected GRRR to "wifi"

So how /what would I connect my old school HIFI to the stream over the wifi ?

TIA

Jim K

??350 for a

Reply to
JimK

Linux streaming apps? Don't see the point. I'm a Windows man but I assume that Spotify on Linux can output to the PC's audio sockets. Then just run a screened audio cable to the AUX input of your amp. That's what I do. Were you perhaps wanting to do it wirelessly? If so, Bluetooth could be the answer, depending.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

MMM PC's in a different room, current tablet no bluetooth (also V low level 3.5mm jack output) Hifi not near router

so preferably wirelessly - somehow?!

What is it called? :- connects to "wifi" network; receives audio stream; does DAC; has 2 phono plugs (or a 3.5mm socket at normal line level) to connect into old skool amp of hifi? -

that's all there is to do.

Spotify is running on remote PC, remotely controlled by wireless android devices running Spotcommander...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Sounds like a raspberry pi or similar...

Reply to
John Rumm

Yerwot? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I ran thin screened audio cable from the PC to two amps in two other rooms (in addition to the amp in the same room). It was a bit of work running the wiring but not something I've ever regretted doing. Cheap as chips, unbeatable reliability, unbeatable sound quality.

If it was me I'd be looking at a bluetooth adapter for the PC and Chordette Gem for the amp, as long as the distance isn't too great. But you wouldn't be saving any money that way and you can connect only one amp.

I vaguely seem to recall hearing about a more budget-friendly competitor but I forget its name, sorry.

BTW I've tried several FM and 2.4 GHz transmitters, all hopeless.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Do you have a TOS link or similar on both devices? If so use that.

Cheap, use a 3.5 mm jack plugged into your sound card output with a couple of phonos to plug into you HiFi.

If you want better sound buy an amp with built in streaming or a USB HiFi sound card.

Reply to
dennis

My Pure DAB radio can do that. It can also stream stuff without the PC from some sources.

maybe a media streamer like

dennis

A Pi ought to be able to that. I have one set up as a "media player" running RaspBMC, I think that can do audio streams as well but not fiddled with that.

"media player" are the keywords for google. There was (is?) a well thought of Western Digital one for about £70 but be aware many are geared to playback of video rather than plain audio so that side might be a bit lacking.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Possibly with HifiBerry, Wolfson audio card, IQaudIO Pi-DAC, or something from

rather than use the standard 3.5mm built in audio.

(I'm sure there must be an off the shelf solution (short of buying a Sonos Bridge and Sonos Connect), but I don't remember seeing one. Thousands of media players with HDMI out, a handful of which have phone as well:

I expect some of them could be set up to listen to your stream and play that without needing you to need the remote and a TV/monitor once they were set up. Especially if you can read Chinese :-) )

Reply to
Alan Braggins

icecast + darkice

Reply to