Homebase Ireland hits skids

Not made a profit for years, apparently...

Grimly Curmudgeon

Who runs it over there? Maybe diy is not the same over there. Mind you I'm surprised any of these firms make much these days. Most people of the new generation seem to know zilch about diy. Too much health and safety. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And those who do know about d-i-y probably avoid it because of their prices!

Reply to
steve

Recession has bitten much harder over there - many people have had to walk away from their houses, and a significant resulting suicide rate too.

ISTR B&Q in trouble too there.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

B & Q pulled a flanker (and I suspect Homebase are at the same trick) It is designed to bring landlords to heel and re-negotiate a sensible rent.

Reply to
fred

Would Homebase know what a sensible rent was?

I called into their Limerick branch a few years back. The prices were totally outside what the competition were charging.

I got the impression that someone had lost the plot somewhere, or they had never heard of "Woodies" (A bunch of Irish rip off merchants who's prices are merely obscene).

Anyway I never bothered seeking another Homebase in Ireland, in fact Amazon have left the lot of the DIY crowd way behind pricewise and the delivery to Ireland is quick and often free.

Good Riddance Homebase!

I wouldn't miss them much on this side of the water either [although my local branch has a charity bookshelf that's quite good].

AB

Reply to
Archibald