Home Plugs

Karens replicator works for me.

you need back-up via ftp then Acebackup with do this.

Tim

Ah, on the plus side its very good and very flexible, on the down side its complicated[1], and not cheap.

I have one machine that is always on with the backup software installed, and then the others just run the small retrospect client. The backup machine has schedules set to back itself up, plus to reach out to the client machines at various times, and back them up as well. Multi generational backups are then written out to a NAS drive.

[1] Being based on an enterprise class backup application you get all the baggage from the top end package included even if its not present in the lower level versions.
Reply to
John Rumm

That's not unexpected.

Possible, but unlikely.

I dug out the netbook which runs XP and checked. Transmit: 43Mbps, receive: 44Mbps.

which applies to the 20% of dennis' posts that don't run into the 'impossible, on this planet, at least' category.

I think its time he joined Drivel in the kill file.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Microsoft's SyncToy seems to work well;

Huge

Doesn't that sync between two folders so that if you delete a file on your main drive then sync it will delete it from the backup? If you realise that you rally wanted that file after a couple of days then it is too late.

I use Cobian Backup

which is free and seems to do the job and is quite easy to setup. I have mine configure to backup to a NAS every morning.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

It has different modes, contribute would act as a backup and does not remove files.

The memeo i use was bundled with the NAS device.

Reply to
dennis

That's what you normally do with anyone that disagrees with you? Sure sign of someone that is poor at logical arguments.

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Mine's free! I wrote a batch file which uses XCOPY commands to copy everything which I want to back up to an external drive. I've set switches so that it only copies files which are new, or more one recent than then ones already on the backup. Virtually all my data is in subdirectores of my 'Data' folder on my E: drive (I have partitioned my HD into C: for system, D: for programs and E: for data) so it can mostly be done with one XCOPY command (which also uses an EXCLUDE list to avoid backing up gash/temporary areas that I don't care about). One or two applications (like Outlook!) insist on putting their data in a location not specified by me, so each of those needs an additional XCOPY command. the whole thing is scheduled to run automatically at 11pm each day - but I can also start it manually at other times should I so wish.

It works pretty well - and you can restore individual files manually or use another batch file to restore the lot in one go. My main computer has just died, and I have restored all my data to my laptop and and am pretty much fully operational. [You'll aways find programs that keep stuff in odd places or in the Registry - and they can catch you out when you want to make an almost clone of your system - but you can usually find ways round that!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Depends how you set it up. It will copy files without deletions in either direction, as well as synchronising the contents of directories.

(I assume it's a Windows wrapper around 'rsync'...?)

Reply to
Huge

That has the singular advantage over most backup programs in that you can instantly see which files have been backed up, and even which version. The XXCOPY and ROBOCOPY programs are a little more flexible though. But if it ain't broke....

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Problem appears to be with Homeplug AV is 10/100 ethernet chip inside, gonna make 200 a bit tricky...

someone better than Belkin is now making something like these

For backup, sore subject since suffered from an IBM DeathStar,.

On a wandering laptop with encrypted drive, if it gets nicked its useless but if if gets destroyed drive is still going to be unreadable in another machine, using Carbonite online backup.

appears to be other big player in this market and have 2Gb free.

with unlimited backup appear to be it may take a long time to get them back off a shared server, Carbonite also only appear to hold a single copy and have lost customers files before.

Advantage is access to files from another machine, with LogMeIn as well, have access to pretty much anything would have on main desktop.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

:-)

My father-in-law used to describe it as 'stating the bleeding obvious'...

better IMO than Microsoft's offering.

Doesn't that sync between two folders so that if you delete a file on

The program I use (and probably SyncToy) offers the option not to delete files, and to keep archives of old versions of files. But I don't use those options: if I did change my mind about deleting a file I'd discover it in minutes (probably seconds) rather than days, and the file would be in the recycle bin anyway.

It might well be that a dedicated backup program would have more features than a synchroniser but there aren't any more features I feel the need of. I started using the synchroniser for purposes other than backup, so I was taking advantage of software (and experience using it) that I already had.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Second Copy

have it set to run when ever a user logs off and it copies their changed/new files to that users backup directory on the server. Files that they have deleted are moved to that users archive directory on the server. The archive directory will just keep growing so I have a script that runs before the weekly a full back up of the server is done that purges anything older than 30 days. The server does a weekly full backup to a NAS device and daily incrementals with 3 weeks worth kept on the NAS. The server is linux based and uses DAR.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Daughters of the American Revolution?

Reply to
Huge

Disk ARchive

Dave Liquorice

Does that work OK for you? I got mine similarly; it worked fine for about 9 months but ever since (with nothing discernable having happened to my system) it just crashes and shuts down, at anything from zero (usually) to 30 minutes after booting up. Drives me nuts, and Memeo can't/won't help. On my kids' machine (using same NAS) it runs absolutely fine.

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Adam Aglionby writes

I've been using Mozy now as part of our backup strategy. It has so far worked well, and support with a couple of issues was pretty good. (I found I preferred it to Carbonite, for reasons I now forget)

I've never had to do a major restore of data - but minor restores of a few files worked ok. (to get access to an older version of a file probably - it keeps 30 days versions). It would indeed take a while to restore all the data (though you can pay for it to be provided on DVD), but in reality - online a limited amount of data would be something I'd really want ASAP access to.

And it would be a worst case scenario - it would need at least the data drives in the server to die and the external drives used for backup - probably fire or flood.

For local backup I use Fileback PC - not free but good. I've been using it for years. Though also use XXcopy as well.

Reply to
chris French