Home network configuration

My computer network at home consists of hybrid wi-fi/CAT5E. It's configured such that I have incoming broadband to a VirginMedia modem/wifi router which sits on a high shelf in the hall. On the wall is a double 13A socket which has a 4-gang RJ45 faceplate, which lead to different locations elsewhere in the house (ie a hard-wired PCs, a network switch attached to more devices, a networked printer and a media player).

I now need to alter the configuration and the 4 CAT5E cables coming in to the shelf are not enough; and things are getting messy. It's also not very versatile as it is, as I'm finding to my cost now. I'm sure there must be a way of organising things better so that I have cables coming in from all round the house, but using patch cables or whatever I can swap things round at will? What am I looking for, maybe to replace the 4-gang box?!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

So your router (is this the VM superhub thingy? Or a seperate VM modem and router) is currently providing 4 switch ports (one of which has another switch hanging off of it). Each of the 4 bits of UTP run off to various different places?

I think that's what you are saying.

Most flexible is a big patch panel somewhere central, with cabling from everywhere running back there along with a switch. Might be overkill though (and certainly not trivial to retrofit!).

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

In article , Lobster writes

I think I must be missing something, what you have sounds pretty versatile, it just needs enlarging. Adding another 4 gang box beside the original will double the capacity and a few half metre patch leads will do all the connecting you need.

That's what I've been using for our stuff for ages, home and small business although it's usually mounted flat on a wall board instead of on shelf and wall.

Reply to
fred

The printer is very unlikely to need the bandwidth of a full cable connection so stick it on the network switch to free up one cable. You need to describe what you want to add in future to get sensible advice. My wired network only changes at all if I buy new kit. And the media player will run OK over an WiFi N link at least where I live.

Most portables, many printers and all iP?ds come with WiFi enabled so they don't need cabling in.

How many computers do you have that need a fully cabled connection?

WiFi is generally a lot less painful for roaming around the house.

Reply to
Martin Brown

What you describe is a part of a structured wiring system... basically sockets wherever you may need them brought back to a central wiring location, and terminated on a CAT5 patch panel. That is then "patched" to whatever device will provide the service on required on that socket (typically ethernet and phone etc).

Details here:

John Rumm

My solution years ago was to run a cable into the loft from my PC (in the days of broadband moden not ADSL Router) and have a hub in the loft with cables to each upstairs room

Now I feed the hub and my PC from the ADSL router

The set up my son asked me to put in when he was doing up his house was adsl router in hall single cable to main bedroom 8 port hub there cables to other bedrooms drops to lounge and dining room. Second hub in lounge for xbox media player nas drives etc. all works a treat

Regards

Reply to
TMC

simply use the 4 cables to connect to ethernet switches where you have a lot of machines in one room.

You can daisy chain switches almost ad infinitum with only minute performance drops.

My setup here has a 4 port router but only one is used: that goes to a

24 port Ethernet switch at into which everything else is plugged via a patch panel.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The printer will absolutely need the maxiumum bandwidth you can afford. Print files are HUGE especially postcript or image files.

so stick it on the network switch to free up one cable.

Correct. But for the inverse of the reason you say - it needs fast communications to the computers, and none to the internet. (although mine do, but thats another story).

You

When and if it works and if you don't mind the howls of despair when you decide to send a big printjob to the printer over it whilst someone else is watching internet TV..

Remember Wifi is as crap as the original Ethernet was - the bandwidth is shared between all devices on it and its only 50Mbps or so.

a 100 MBPS Ethernet switch will allow seamless communications between two devices and leave the other connections unaffected.

So MY PC to THE PRINTER wont affect HER LAPTOP to THE INTERNET at all.

WiFi is a substandard bodge for stoopid consumers. If performance is an issue or security, dont use it.

I cant roam around with a full size keyboard and monitor,. That's why I have a desk with a computer on it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the mutt's nut's way of doing it. Thinking on it further I suspect I can probably get away with just adding another 4-gang modular socket as someone else suggested, and using up those sockets as and when required, in a similar way - that should hopefully future-proof me! (CAT6 etc permitting...)

Thanks to all David

Reply to
Lobster