Home-made roller for vinyl flooring?

I'll be laying vinyl floor tiles using hand-spreaded adhesive. The pros use a hand roller to make sure the tales end up nice and flat. These are expensive hand tools to buy. has anyone found a cheap, easy way to make something that does the job equally well? I've heard of people using a rolling pin (the type with a handle at each end), but this is not ideal.

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Why not just use a wallpaper seam roller?

Phil L

What size & weight roller do you want? A fair variety of rollers can be made from pvc pipe or steel drums with concrete fill.

So far I've used random weights, just whatever's round the house.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

"Phil L" wrote in news:rDHCs.964851$yH4.539108 @fx03.am4:

Hi Phil, That would definitely be an option - thanks! Ideally, though, it would be wider (say around 6"-9"), to obtain a better degree of flatness, I would have thought. The purpose-built rollers generally see to be about that width, I think.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The room to be tiled is a small loo, so a lawn roller or similar would not be suitable. A small hand-held roller that allows a lot of pressure to be applied, would be best. Here is a purpose-built one:

AL_n

Perhaps an ink brayer would work - I have one about 6 inches wide.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Lol. That's why I mentioned plastic pipe

NT

Reply to
meow2222

S Viemeister wrote in news:ak2s4bF8opgU1 @mid.individual.net:

Amazingly enough, I actually have one of them...somewhere! I must try and find it! Thanks...

Al

Reply to
AL_n