'Home-made' radio in John Lewis!

Following the discussion about 'Practical Wireless' and home-made 'wirelesses', I saw this in the JL Christmas Catalogue today:

just like something out of 'Everyday Electronics' circa 1980, even down to the knobs and the drilled-out 'speaker grille'! Although for true authenticity, it should be made with a plain plastic 'project box', but then they wouldn't be able to claim 'green' credentials for the recycled cardboard...

Then there's this one:

like a manufactured set from the same era.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

just the thing to go with the cardboard (cornflake box) FL ..... recycle it to the next spur of the moment hobby .......

Reply to
jimbo

Bet they didn't used to say the 3.5mm jack was to be used with MP3 players.

Reply to
polygonum

Bamboo front !!!!! that should go with the gibbering FLs ........

Reply to
jimbo

And biodegradable plastic made from corn starch for the chassis. I wonder how long it'll be before it proves that it *is* biodegradable?

Reply to
John Williamson

Degraded just about describes a G8 like brian taking out a M3 just to go on HF .......

Reply to
jimbo

Except that he wouldn't need to...

Reply to
Bob Eager

not now he wouldn't...couldn't even wait for that........

Reply to
jimbo

Recycled ? As in most of the garbage received on it, as well as it's decrepid presenters.

Who writes this crap?

Reply to
Thermionic Onion

LOL - looks like something I would make, before I progressed to the advanced biscuit tin models.

Reply to
M0wws

Who will be th efirst to post an unboxing video on youtube? ;-)

Reply to
Thermionic Onion

Too complicated and expensive, what is wrong with the crystal sets I made as a youngster?

Reply to
Moonraker

A hotel stay in the US a few years ago left me with a supply of small "biodegradable" cornstarch plastic bottles. One's spent the last year outside in the sun and rain on my balcony, and so far shows no visible sign of degrading.

Reply to
Adam Sampson

Well, first of all you have to understand how cornstarch materials break down - sticking it on a balcony won't do it.

Breakdown is a biological process that requires, for instance, the presence of certain bacteria. Composting is the way to go. The European standard for a biodegradable product is that it must degrade by 60% in 90 days.

Biodegradable should not be confused with degradable as these products have additives that aid UV or oxygen breakdown. A process that can take up to 5 years in a landfill site.

Reply to
Ozric Terminator

This might be taking it a bit too far though ...

Andy Burns