Home Lifts ...

Indeed. It is not immediately obvious to me what keeps it stable, or is the horizontal band not actually flat, but equipped with shoulders to locate the vertical band.

Reply to
newshound

The original American patent (Otis?) had spring loaded grippers which were held off by the tension in the lifting rope. The vertical guide rails had longitudinal teeth and if the gripper released, it inserted between the teeth. Because a stationary lift could only drop an inch or so if the rope failed, it didn't pick up enough speed to put much of an impact load on the mechanism. I imagine modern lifts have a "smooth" system with suitable friction materials, to guard against rope failures in transit.

They had an open-frame "demo" model which they touted around exhibitions, etc. I think Tim Hunkin covered it in here

newshound

Unless there's a very steep path outside, this seems to me to describe a kitchen with a very low ceiling. Do you live in a hobbit house?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I later found a "better" video that seems to show it in a more convincing light:

That shows teeth on the flat helical stack that engage with slots on both top and bottom edges of the vertical strip.

Look at 2:11 - they lay an extended section on its side across 2 bearing points and a bloke jumps up and down on the middle - it seems to have the lateral rigidity of a solid steel tube!

Here's another lateral test - more scientific:

I'm now convinced - it just goes to show that there is still "uncomplicated" stuff remaining to be invented...

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's not the original spiralift, search for the patents seems like they're due to expire soon, might be what drove them to re-invent the toothed version which seems to be called iLock.

Both versions are exactly the sort of non-obvious invention that deserve patenting, unlike most "high-tech" patents nowadays :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns

No - it's a kitchen with a very low ceiling.

Bit of an odd house - like many in these parts. The main house is old with the livingroom ceiling a shade under 12' from the floor.

You go up a step to the dining room which we think was the kitchen at some point. (Big fireplace which now houses a back boiler)

then you go outside - or would do, if some years ago (about 60 we think) the outside at the back hadn't been covered over and a coridor made into what was a barn at the side of the house. The barn has 2 floors - slightly below ground and slightly above ground.

The ground level rises from front to back of the house - not much, but it puts the kitchen floor slightly underground.

Above the kitchen is - well, we don't know what it originally was. It's a wooden floor, that 2 inches of concrete has been poured over. In one corner was a boiler leading into the chimney at the end (coal fired rayburn was in the kitchen when we moved in) and in the other corner is a drain leading outside. We think it may have been a wash house - living in an ancient woolen town, that would fit.

However the upstairs was only accessible via steps outside to this door - until the previous owners cut the L shaped corner out and fitted steps in the kitchen.

Found some old photos from when it was done up after we moved in (12 years ago now I think)

that may help!

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Oh... How the hell did the original version work then? I cannot believe a metal band under compression can reliably sit between layers of helical coil without slipping out.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Original Spiralift just stacks, but needs guides to stop it getting loaded laterally:

Which is a better way of doing things than using the dovetailing Ribbonlift as a personnel lift....

Dosen`t look shaky at all, much

Ribbonlift been through a few owners now, but even the makers say , not a personnel lift:

Serapid were used in the Bejing Olympics, some very big chains

Back somewhere near original topic, DIY attic elevatot

Adam Aglionby

"the horizontal band interlocks the continuous spiral seam of the vertical band."

I see...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Can you not fit a hoist on a beam over the door, as used to be fitted to warehouses, for moving large objects in and out?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You can design it how you like. Its not hard to have the ladder drop when you slide a bolt. The sheet half-floor that covers it must then rest on an edge lip, not rely on the ladder.

No, when the lift is down it fills the hole, you can walk over the top. No need for anything more than minimal sides anywhere.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Or houses in Amsterdam...

That was (and may still be) a consideration however what I really want to do is reclaim the space that the steps take up on both walls.

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I know the thread is getting on a bit, but at last remembered to make a note of the maker of our work lift:

They have a home lift designer app (have not tried it - got enough clutter on my PC already).

Reply to
polygonum