Home improvements/ house value

More durable if anything; tarmac is slightly flexible - concrete cracks. See

(or .co.uk ? - offline so can't check)

A drop kerb is physical work done to facilitate the passage of a wheeled item (eg a wheelchair, not necessarily a car) between the road and the pavement. It must be installed by the Council as they are the landowners. You still require the legal permission to drive your car over the pavement.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotpop.com writes

I don't think that the surface will really make any great difference to the house value, I think it might make a bit of difference to the 'saleability' of the house, as being at the front it may impact on 'kerb appeal'. From this POV I'd avoid concrete, probably tarmac, or maybe block paving, depending on what else is going on around visually.

Reply to
chris French

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotpop.com writes

As has already been pointed out, it very much depends. In an area where parking is at a premium, and you have to pay a significant sum for on street parking permits then it probably would add greater value. In our street, it would probably detract from the value of the house

Reply to
chris French

But it doesn't like having petrol or oil spilt on it, and it can be too soft to support things like heavily loaded axle stands for any length of time.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Concrete is loads more durable than asphalt, a crack doesn't mean its not durable it just means it was underdesigned/not installed properly,

Reply to
<Dave

So don't spill oil or petrol or use axle stands ...

I'm not sure if the OP is interested in quick-fix solutions to last 6 weeks before selling the house ie doing a Beeny, or is actually wanting to live in the house first.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

property

fourth

recoverable

So that's another sweeping generalization, then. I wouldn't sell through his agency.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

recoverable

Your estate agent friend must have been pretty careless when saying that. The work I'm doing now has been estimated to add 6-8x cost price onto the house value.

The point that sellers often misunderstand what adds value to a buyer is true, but the claim that nothing excpt CH and DG add more value than cost is vapourtruth.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

The latter :-)

Mark

Reply to
saat

Then I'd go for tarmac. The wear layer can be replaced just before resale if it's looking tatty.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, I think that`s the conclusion I`m being drawn to. Which brings me to my next question: The garden that I`m going to cover has an L shaped path running along the front of the house, and out to the street. Can the tarmac be put over this, or does it have to come up? If the latter, why? And does the answer also pertain to concrete? (Just in case I go mad and decide to have that!) Thanks

Mark

Reply to
saat

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotpop.com writes

Depends what the path is made of, if its concrete then no problem, if its slabs then I would crack and seat them (break them into smaller bits and consolidate them with a roller) The main difference between concrete and asphalt (Tarmac is a name not the material) is that concrete can be structural and self supporting.

Reply to
<Dave

I think the path has to come up, at least back to hardcore. Thin layers of surface tarmac break up. See the pavingexpert.com site for details The advantage of tarmac (bitumen macadam) is that the wearing layer can be renewed very easily without affecting the underlying structure.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And if I use concrete? The path itself is concrete.

Mark

Reply to
saat

He was basing this on his experience of what people do to try and sell their houses. Sellers seem to think that anything they add to the house can be recovered (and more) in the sale price. He has seen people add £25k kitchens and then try adding £35k to price (and failing, getting only 5k) as not everybody wants a £25k£35k kitchen. Be careful there are two things working here, things that increase sale value and things that increase the number of potential buyers who will look at a property.

Reply to
Ian_m

Just like to say thanks to all those who gave advice/ opinions in response to my query. Cheers guys.

Mark PS May have another question in a day or two about decking. I bet you all can`t wait ;-)

Reply to
saat