Home gas & electricity monitoring

Trying to find a system that will allow me to monitor my electricity consumption for the house & garage (separately) and gas. For the gas I have a Schroeder G4 meter which needs a hall effect sensor.

I want to be able to log the data, perform real time updates to a web based "dashboard" such as Cosm/Pachube and display monthly usage graphs on the hand held unit for each channel used.So far I have been looking at:

Current Cost: Envir with (maybe) optismart + additional CT + Gas sensor This almost achieves what I want except that the HHU display is very limited.

Smartometer: Does energy & gas and displays a monthly graph but can not tell if it shows separate graphs for each channel. I have not been able to find out if it can be networked.

OpenEnergyMonitor: Looks like fun and because it's open I could get it to do anything I want. However, I get the feeling that I would be endlessly tinkering with hardware & code instead of tinkering with data.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Rob

If you're only analysing it once a month, why do you need an automated system. What's wrong with reading the meters every month and entering the readings into a spreadsheet - and produce graphs from that.

That's what I do.

Reply to
Roger Mills

A monthly graph is the length of historical data displayed. Readings would be taken approximately every 10 seconds.

Reply to
Rob

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do any of them do a monthly graph?

But gives lots of "consumer" information like cost etc. The CurrentCost unit squirts live data out of it's serial port every six seconds or so in XML the format of which is published. It regulary squirts out the stored history. I only grab and log the live data, the web pages (PHP based) look at the log files and produce plots via GNUPlot. I rarely look at the display unit, which is mains powered and desk based rather battery/handheld.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I do something very similar as well

Reply to
Bob H