Home Buildings & Contents Insurance-advice please

Page 2 of 2
mlv wrote:

Lloyds TSB are the worst financial organisation it has ever been my misfortune to deal with.
I closed all dealing with Lloyds a year or two back. Service is non existent.
Insurance is a bugger all round - so many frauds and scams have raised the prices and made the companies very reluctant to pay ou.

NFU mutual m8.
Natty Phil wrote:

You can add Prudential to that list after my recent experience of their abysmal incompetence whilst handling a motor accident claim for me. Their moronic service was so unbelievably inefficient that I had to give up with them and argue the case with the third party insurers myself (which I won).
Having read all the exceptions and get-out clauses Lloyds TSB have added to their insurance policy document, I definitely will NOT be renewing my mother's home buildings and contents insurance with them.
The best quote so far has come from SAGA and I'm now waiting for a specimen policy to arrive so I can check the small print. Churchill were also very competitive.

Tried them. They came up with the highest priced quote of all. Nationwide ran them a close second.
--
Mike (Off-line from today until 5 January 2004)
-Please remove 'safetycatch' before firing off your reply-

Add Equity Red Star, too. Possibly my own fault for refusing to use their nominated repairer, but 4 months to settle a claim is ridiculous.
OTOH, I cannot recommend "Brokers Direct" enough. Car into repairers the following day, loan car without question, repaired car (whole new front end) within 4 days. And I never saw the bill, nor knew how much it was. A smooth, painless operation, slicker than baby poo.
[12 lines snipped]

You have to have a Land Rover. In which case they are reasonably priced, and I've found them to be very helpful.
It depends on what you want. NU gave me the best quote for buildings and contents insurance, as I was after 60 day absence cover. There was also a discount if you were a shareholder. Churchill etc only go to 30 days. Saga some years ago, extended contents cover to 90 days only after initially quoting a price and then trying to back out on the quotation. Saga also included security requirements which resulted in the house resembling Fort Knox!! I had to make a claim on Churchill, and cannot fault their service. They organised a glazier at short notice and their choice was excellent. Regards Capitol
writes

Don't tell me! We're in the middle of a three year battle over some underpinning work. The loss adjusters are the worse, they're supposed to be independent but as all their work comes from the insurance companies they tend to side with them, despite the fact that their pay comes from the policyholders in the long run. The FOS is the same - how can an impartial adjudication system be funded by the industry it is trying to regulate?
--
John Rouse

Try RIAS (Retirement Insurance and Advisory Service) - we recently renewed with them and they were still half the price of eveybody else. We have not made any claims so cannot comment on their claims process, but I have heard good things about them in that dept.
--

Regards.

Nick Pitfield ( snipped-for-privacy@nickpitfield.com)
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:42:00 +0000 (UTC), Nick Pitfield

How do they achieve that? Do they restrict who can apply - e.g. must be retired? Some insurers do this on the basis that statistically the customer will be at home more.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Well theoretically they are for the over-50s only, but I didn't know that when I first rang them (I just saw the acronym rather than the full name), and they gave me a quote even though I gave both our ages clearly showing us both as well under 50. I then rang anonymously to check things out and asked if they normally do quotes for people under 50 and they said not normally but it does sometimes happen.