Homark and general fridge thermostat query

Hello all,

Firstly: Our seven-year old Homark built-in fridge has failed, faulty thermostat. It's nearly as anonymous as the fridge - Italian (A.T.E.A?), identified as A13 0362 A076 000. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I shall try the contact number tomorrow but it's an obsolete exchange number in the leaflet...

Secondly, how do auto-defrost fridges and freezers work? I'd expected to see some sort of timer, surely it doesn't just have a large enough hysteresis on the thermostat to let it defrost a bit before the motor starts up each time? Does it?

Regards Ant

  • Vote UKIP - Don't let the EU rule Britannia! *
Reply to
Ant

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 22:08:42 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Ant strung together this:

Any local appliance shop will stock a generic fridge stat that will do the job.

It's basically a heater on the back, and extra insulation on the fridge.

Reply to
Lurch

A timer which, every 24-36 hours, stops the compressor, energises a small heater element near the cooling coils inside the fridge/freezer. After a delay, ,just long enough for the accumulated ice to melt off and the water to run away, the heater is turned off and the compressor restarted.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I read this email shortly before I paid an obscene amount of money for someone else to do the same job on our built-in fridge-freezer, having waited a week. I imagined it would be much more complicated then it really was. I am now kicking myself!

Oh well, I'll know next time...

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry