Holes in base of new cistern

Hi. I have a new close coupled toilet and cistern but I'm puzzled by the holes in the base. There is the large one for flush water and 2 bolt holes either side of it. But their are also 2 other holes about 26mm diameter nearer to the back and toward the corners. What are these for?

This cistern has no pre-drilled hole for the input or the overflow. Is this standard? ..giving the option choice of which side to place the input valve.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Probably for the overflow - having a plastic pipe coming up vertically to just above the water level. One should be blocked obviously :)

alex

Reply to
Alex

The input is usually in the bottom of a cistern, so it is one of those

26mm holes.
Reply to
Frank Erskine

The input will usually come up into the base of the cistern, so that sounds like one of your holes.

Separate overflows are now not usually used. The Torbek / Fluidmaster / Siamp type valves used in most cisterns these days allow the overflow to be directed into the pan.

Reply to
John Rumm

Inlet and overflow?

Reply to
Rob Morley

That how ours is installed.

Reply to
Badger

These ARE the inlet and overflow holes. If no overflow required with your type of syphon a suitable bung is sometimes in the fitting kit or can be purchased quite easily.

Just as an off shoot to this question. I installed a bathroom suite (B & Q Madrid cheapo) for a friend in a house he is renting out. The cistern did not have any holes to fix it to the wall. I have never seen a cistern before without these holes, and I have installed/repaired 100's. I rang B & Q as I thought it might be a faulty one to be told by the 'bathroom consultant' that "On the budget suites there aren't any holes, you stick it to the wall with silicon". I asked how it would be removed if needed i.e. doughnut washer change, or if it leaked after installation etc. to which he replied "I've never thought of that".

I needed some fixing holes so decided to drill it, even with good quality tile drills and masonry bits two 8mm holes took nearly 2 hours! I have never drilled anything as hard as that before in my life!

John

Reply to
John

[...]

metal brackets would be a lot eaier in future, as used to be used. But they can be put t other way up, so the brackets arent visible. London brackets are no good, use non tapered ones.

NT

Reply to
bigcat