hole saw for waste pipe?

Hello,

I understand that 15mm, 22mm, 28mm, etc. refers to the external diameter of copper pipe, but does 32mm and 40mm still refer to the internal diameter of waste pipe?

I have some "32 mm" waste pipe but it is 35 mm in diameter. I would like to drill a hole for this pipe to pass through. What hole saw should I use? I suppose 35mm would be a tight fit. is 38 mm the next size up? is that what plumbers use?

For future reference, what size would I use for 40mm pipe?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

It is generally better to have some clearance for waste pipes rather than trying to achieve a honeymoon fit. Expansion and contraction as hot waste passes through can lead to creaks and clicks; leaving clearance helps reduce this noise.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

A typical small size specific 'plumbers holesaw set' contains 19, 22, 29,

38, 44, 57mm holesaws, so in your case 38 & 44.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I use whichever size hole saw in my box looks big enough - and a bit over if I can't guarantee that the hole will be in exactly the right place wrt the pipe.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I'm guessing that the 19mm is for 15mm pipe with 2mm either side but what is the 22mm saw for?

29mm for 22mm pipe would leave 3.5mm either side which is a gap almost twice as big as that around the 15mm pipe.

Yet 38mm for a 35mm pipe leaves only 1.5mm either side of a 35mm pipe.

Why isn't there any consistency in gap size? I would have expected them to follow a pattern such as pipe diameter + 4mm.

Or am I just thinking about this too much?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Microbore?

Maybe its the possible expansion with hot water rather than the clearance.

Sounds likely to me :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman