Hole saw cutting speed

What speed when cutting steel with a hole saw?? TVMIA

Reply to
colinstone

What kind of hole saw? What type & thickness of steel? Rule of thumb- slow and with plenty of lubricant to (a) cool and (b) clear swarf. If heat becomes a problem, stop. Cool and start again, but slower/more lubricant. My magdrill works at about 500rpm fixed speed with constant lubricant. This can overheat when boring 30mm holes in 20mm plate with new or very good broach type cutter. HTH

Reply to
Nick

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

The Vegetables Might Indeed Argue?

Anyway, it'l depend on the diameter of the saw. Larger diameter, slower speed. I find slowly and but with reasonably high pressure tends to avoid overheating, but that again depends on whether the saw's still sharp.

Reply to
Guy King

Bloody slow.

Reply to