Hole punches for leather

We have one of the standard ones with a rotary head, but it's not really up to doing thick stuff like stirrup leathers or driving tack (even after sharpening and checking for blocked punches). Can anyone recommend something better? I have some hammer punches for round holes which are not too bad. Anyone know a source for punches which do oval holes as used in some tack?

TIA

Reply to
Newshound

make your won from steel pipe ground to a point and something like a lead faced or hardwood block.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not all hand punches are created equal. One from Maun or Stubai(?) will easily out-punch a happy-shopper special. Same goes for grommet & circular rivet punches.

Also check that your punch is hitting the brass anvil dead-square, as you need to punch the whole circle from the same movement. The usual failure method is to hit the anvil at an angle so your beautifully sharp punch cuts half of it, then doesn't even close on the remainder.

LePrevo (mail-order, Newcastle) are the usual source.

You see them on eBay too, but like most leatherworking or bookbinding tools there's a scrum over them and the price goes up past current retail.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

For round holes I use a plain tubular type punch and put it in a drill press with wood underneath. Turn the drill on of course! It makes a very clean hole in the thickest leather you've got. If you don't have a drill press an ordinary electric hand drill might work.

Reply to
Matty F

I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks! Presumably you keep the speed down?

Reply to
newshound

Excellent, just what I needed to know!

Reply to
newshound

Yes, I have the drill press going slow. I use this method for making holes in anything soft such as plastic or leather or felt. A twist drill makes a real mess of those. It's probably good for sheet copper too.

Reply to
Matty F