Holding up a bathroom mirror

Can I hold up a light bathroom mirror reasonably safely on a tiled wall (the tiles seeming very secure) without drilling any holes, eg using some kind of adhesive?

Is this often done?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Silicone or gripfil should do the job providing it's done correctly

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett

I put up a full-length mirror in a bedroom with mirror fixing pads, sold with the mirror, about 15 years ago and it is still up.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yes, but you can get special mirror-fixing adhesive

because apparently ordinary stuff can attack the mirror silvering

David

Reply to
Lobster

Silicone - run a thick bead round the back a couple of inches in from the edge and perhaps one or two across if its a big mirror. Push into place, level it, and use gaffer tape to hold in position until set.

If you need to remove it you can get a fishing wire behind it and use a sawing action to cut the silicone.

Reply to
John Rumm

Try something like this

The Medway Handyman

Silicon might attack the silvering. Any solvent might ruin a mirror and straining its finished back mechanically might do that too.

Support the glass with a suitable fixing and use glue on the fixing if you must. No mention of mirror fixtures on here:

Weatherlawyer

Yes, and yes

Get the correct adhesive from a glazing supplier.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote

I'm curious... What size of mirror would this stuff hold? 3 ft by 2 ft?

6 ft by 4 ft? 8 by 4?

With a bigger mirror, there's obviously an increase in weight, but there's also an increased area for the adhesive to grab onto. I wonder at what point does the 'volume vs area' relationship cross over into the 'I Wouldn't Stand Under That!' territory?

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

I asked the same question recently whwn planning to stick up a pretty massive bathroom mirror [1]... IIRC the response was that it doesn't matter provided you use the same amount of glue per unit area of mirror. Which makes sense if you think about it: there's no "volume" issue to consider here.

The only issue might be if the glass specified for a larger mirror might be thicker - which is quite likely - and then of course the *weight* per unit area of mirror goes up, and the answer might be different.

David

[1] No I haven't yet got around to that particular job yet!
Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wrote

Oh, of course, yes. (D'oh!)

I've just had a look at a mirror that I'm thinking about putting up and it's got a steel frame behind it. The 4 ft x 3 ft mirror glass is stuck to the frame with what looks like six 6" strips of double-sided adhesive pads.

Hmmm... I may cut the mirror off and stick it directly to my tiled wall.

I'll report back if it falls off!

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

Ive used the DS pads with mixed success.

Removing one mirror broke it in half..another one on plaster came way a darn sight to easily.

I think they are good on tiles, but I'd use the glue on plasterboard.

Glue is also thinner - it looks a bit better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote

My (self) tiled walls aren't sufficiently ripple free to make the thinner layers of glue look better than DS pads.

SWMBO is still deciding *exactly* where it should go.

Reply to
Brian L Johnson