Holding threaded rod in a vise

|The message |from "Matty F" contains these words: | |> How long will it take to make 400 cuts through 5/8" rod with a hacksaw? | |Hour and half, max.

Ooh you are fit ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

Nope, just good at that particular motion.

Reply to
Guy King

Take two nuts that are compatible with the thread and make a cut half through them, so that when the threaded bar is in the vice, they grip the threaded bar. Spin the bar into the thread and cut away. Have a stop and when the stop is encountered the bar will be ready to cut

Alternatively. Use one nut whole and just cut the second one after filing the first down a bit (this allows the first nut to act as a guide and the second to act as the grip).

Or...

Cut through 2 nuts and glue them to the jaws of the vice and just advance the threaded rod as required and cut.

HTH

BTW My consultation fee is a small matter of £50.00. But I ask that you pay me at least £20,000 a week, for my suggestions. ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The word you want is vice

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No he doesn't...He's a yank.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Or possibly a Kiwi. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes a Kiwi, and thus I can pick and choose whatever spelling I like, but usually British spelling unless I'm talking to lots of Yanks :)

I decided to spell it as vise because vice has lots of other meanings, e.g.:

  1. an immoral or evil habit or practice.
  2. immoral conduct; depraved or degrading behavior: a life of vice.
  3. sexual immorality, esp. prostitution.
  4. a particular form of depravity.
Reply to
Matty F

You are far too late. Richard Downing already suggested that. And that is the way that I did it last week. I was just wondering if anyone else knew that method.

The main criterion for the job was that the thread and galvanising was not damaged, and that the cut was neat. Cost and time taken was irrelevant, and a metal-cutting bandsaw was available. But on no account was the blade to be broken or damaged, and the operator was not allowed to lose limbs or eyes or to bleed at all.

My ranking for the various methods, in this situation:

1=2E Two nuts cut half way through one side [very simple to make] 2=2E Two nuts cut in half and welded to two metal plates [quickest for large runs] 3=2E Two nuts plus a locknut [adequate, but slight risk of rod turning] 4=2E A block of metal with a nut on each side 5=2E Aluminium or lead clamps [may damage plating or thread] 6=2E Two nuts squeezed really hard [difficult to wind nuts off again] 7=2E Special screw clamp [won't fit in my bandsaw] 8=2E Clamp lightly in vise plus hand-held [liable to damage operator] 9=2E Wrap it in a rag [likely to damage thread and bandsaw and operator]
  1. Two pieces of wood [same as 9]
Reply to
Matty F

If any of the those other meanings involve cutting 400 lengths of 5/8in threaded galvanised steel rod, please provide explicit details.

On behalf of the lurkers, thanks for all the suggestions - they will help many people besides Matty.

Reply to
Ian White

All of which can get hold of you. ;-)

And 'vise' has other meanings too.