Hob power ratings

I am replacing a solid-plate hob (5.5Kw) with a ceramic hob (6.4Kw) . There is a 30 amp fuse and cooker control unit. should this be OK for a straight swap over?

Regards and thanks in advance

PJM

Reply to
Syke

Yes. 1kW = 4A at 240V, near as dammit. 6.4 of your earth kilowatts thusfore means some 26A, so your circuit should be fine. (A purist would recite all the ways in which the existing circuit might've been right on the limits for the lower-rated, 5.5kW so 22A, previous load... but in the real world, you'll be fine). This is the peak load - in practice (and this is Officially Sanctioned by the Regs Themselves ;-) your hob will be a smaller load, with not all elements being on simultaneously-like - even if you've got them all switched on, their temperature controls will be bringing them in and out of circuit).

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

No problem whatsoever, assuming the existing circuit is correctly designed for its fuse. You should even get away with an oven on the same circuit, although you'd need to check its rating. The total is allowed to go substantially over the circuit rating in this case.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks to all responders. I fitted the hob today and it works fine. There IS an oven on this circuit, rated at 2.18 Kw Max, but as it's still working, I assume everything's OK!

Regards

PJM

Reply to
Syke

Not *quite* the best of assumptions - sustained overloads which damage cable insulation but don't cause the fuse/MCB to trip are insiduous and quite possible. (A 30A-nominal RCD will pass, say, 36A effectively forever, probably 40A too...) But in your case, even with the oven on the circuit you should be fine.

Reply to
Stefek Zaba