Hob power rating

My electric solid-plate hob went phut recently and I'm replacing it with a ceramic one. My query is, the old one was rated at 5.5 Kw and the new one is 6.4Kw. Will this just be a straight swap?

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P and H Macguire

Depending on the existing cable and the fuse/breaker rating in your fuse box, it should be OK to do a straight swap. If the fuse/breaker is rated at

32 A (amps), then the fuse and cable should already be sized correctly to take the load your new hob needs to work properly.
Reply to
BigWallop

Probably, as long as the old one was on a dedicated radial circuit and not plugged in with a 13A plug. We need to know the rating of the circuit and whether other devices are using it. In particular, we need to know if there is a separate 13A socket on the isolation switch and if you have an electric oven using the circuit.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for those. The fuse has red "domino" spots and says "30". There is an electric fan oven on the circuit, and there is also a wall unit which has a "Cooker" switch and a "Socket" one with a socket. Hope this is enough info.

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P and H Macguire

That should be easily covered by diversity, assuming the cable is man enough for the fuse rating. It should be at least 4mm, and probably 6mm, really.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks again for taking the time