Hob power connection advice

Hi

I've bought a De Dietrich DTI309X induction hob which has rather large power consumption requirements.

According to the installation manual, if you are installing a single phase supply to it (which of course I am), you must run two separate supplies to the unit - one 16A supply and one 32A supply.

Relevant page from the installation manual is here:

do I need to fit in terms of a local isolator? It would seem that I need something capable of switching at least four poles. A further complexity is that this unit is being installed in the middle of an island. Where am I supposed to install the isolator switch? The hob is to be almost 2M from the nearest wall.

Would I need to use an industrial 4 pole switch or could I install 2 x

45A switches?

That was a post with many questions - for which I apologise!

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

On 27 Feb 2007 06:31:49 -0800 someone who may be "stevelup" wrote this:-

ISTM that a standard 45A cooker supply would be adequate for the hob, as one can allow for diversity.

Though they don't explain why. I would ask them some hard questions.

Assuming that it is something to do with protection of the internals and has to be provided I would be inclined to run a 45A cooker supply to the kitchen unit using standard UK wiring equipment (including a 45A switch within a suitable distance) and then fit a

16A and 32A fuse locally, tucked away somewhere, with suitable cables to the connections.
Reply to
David Hansen

Thanks.

I had forgotten about diversity. There seems to be no sound reason not to run the unit of a single 45A supply then...

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

practice. I would just strap terminals 1, 2 & 3 as L and strap 4 & 5 as N and feed it from a standard 32 A circuit via a DP isolator (cooker switch). Using the standard diversity rule (first 10 A plus 30% of remainder) gives just over 21 A, so a 32 A circuit should be fine (assuming this is domestic use). Use a 4 or 6 mm^2 3-core heat resistant flexible cable if necessary, connected via a cooker outlet unit to the fixed twin-and-earth wiring. Crimped ferrules will be required on the ends of the flexible cord conductors.

Within 2 m of the appliance and such that you don't have to reach over the hob to operate it. It should also be readily accessible and not hidden away in a cupboard etc. The 2 m rule is only guidance and I'd deviate from that in preference to putting it somewhere difficult to reach, IYSWIM.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Germany where 3-phase is common, and (perhaps because of that) circuits >32A aren't, hence the suggestion for 2 circuits. Certainly not UK practice.

I *think* you can link 1-2-3 as L, 4-5 as N, and use a single 45A supply.

However I would suggest you confirm with the retailer exactly what to do to connect the appliance to a single-phase, single-circuit, UK domestic supply as if you can't do that then the item is not fit for purpose (and the instructions are part of the item; if theyr'e unclear you can return the item)

Certainly not 2 x switches; all poles must be disconnected with one switch - and it must be within 2 metres of the cooker.

You could use a ceiling mounted shower pull switch provided it's the type with a mechanical 'off' indicator, and I would suggest a red 'acorn' on the cord.

Owain

Reply to
Owain