Hmph.... plumbers

I haven't done it for many years. Nor have I neded to have a crankshaft ground or cylinders re-bored or fit new rings - or even plugs.

In fact there's very little to do with modern (i.e. up to 15 yo in my experience) cars.They've taken all the fun out of it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But re-lining went out about 30 years ago....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

About every three sets of front pads on my SDI Rover. If it's the sort of car - BMW, etc, that uses handbrake shoes inside the rear disk, then never

- provided you only apply the brake when stationary. Not that it's much good on the move. ;-)

It was certainly worth fitting linings to my S1 Bentley many years ago - less than a quarter of the price of shoes. However, most are bonded these days, so not as practical for DIY as rivets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

About the same time that front disk brakes had saturated the market.

For years you could still get drum shoes re-lined by going to a Landie or van garage. Now even they aren't tooled up to do it - the final death knell for re-lining on site was asbestos legislation.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

drums?

And rear wheel drive was still more common than FWD, this meant that rear brake shoes wore out as most brake systems didn't use any form on limiting device on the rear hydraulics. Stop arguing about something you are obviously totally clueless about !

Landie

Total bollox, asbestos has been removed from brake shoes / pads for almost as long as linings haven't been fitted by most main stream garages.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In general except for the top of the range manufacturers (who charge top of the range prices) trying to obtain spares for quarter turn taps is very difficult if not impossible. Even spares for supposedly quality makes (Like Hans Grohe are not obtainable). Whilst quarter turn taps can, and often do, last many years should they start to leak then replacement may be the only option.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Which _might_ have worked but probably wouldn't have - BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

As used by Dolphin bathrooms? I may be wrong but there is not standard replacement parts like there is for washered taps.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I used to have a cheapie deck mixer (£45 ish IIRC from Homebase (sorry)) which started leaking. Cleaning them worked for a short while, but they started leaking again.

Got some replacements from my local Graham's. Don't know if they were the universal ones mentioned by Alex above, but they had a box-full under the counter. I was told they're all the same size, but you had to take a chance on the splines.....

I took the chance and the handles fitted better than on the originals!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann

On another topic - has anyone invented a tap that will not stop working, or need repairs in (say) 50 years in a hard water area?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Custom spares perhaps, but most taps have the industry standard size glands so it's then a matter of finding glands with the right size splined shaft (and handedness) and/or suitable handles. I usually carry replacement glands from B&Q (a pair of same-way-turning ones with white rubber seals and a handed pair with red and blue seals, the pairs having different sizes of splined shaft), a pair of tap revivers with handles and a pair of cheapo 1/4 turn basin taps (from SFX/TS). Nice thing is you can replace conventional compression glands with 1/4 turn (as long as the tap seats are OK) and vice-versa (should the need arise) and do specials such as a deck mixer with cross head handles but 1/4 turn.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Been There, Done That, Got The Tee Shirt

Reply to
John Rumm

Remember that!

But bet I don't! I forgot to add forgetfulness as part of the ageing process.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

LOL , too many MLA's IMHO

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

TLA - Three Letter Acronym MLA - Multi Letter Acronym

Reply to
Geoffrey

ETLA, Extended Three Letter Acronym.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's called a "Senior Moment"

Reply to
Rick

Laugh Out Loud, too many Multi Letter Acronyms

this is i suppose the modern equivlent of what servicemen used to write on the back of envelopes during the war, so my grandfather told me ;-)

i.e SWALK and NORWICH etc

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff