Hitachi drill batteries

I need new battery packs (EB1814SL) for my Hitachi cordless drill. The replacements are sufficiently expensive that I might as well chuck the whole thing away and buy a new one. The re-celling services aren't much cheaper. So I'm looking at DIY re-celling

I've dismantled one pack, but the cells are all glued together, and there are two different sizes of cell - should I proceed using BF&I? And where's a good place to get the cells?

Reply to
Huge

Think you'll find buying decent cells in small quantities no cheaper than buying the correct battery. Sad but true.

I'm surprised there are different sized cells. Pretty well every one I've seen uses sub-C size.

FWIW, you'll find these advertised on Ebay (from China) with what looks a good spec and price. Be very, very, careful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only done it once, used what seemed like a reputable UK source (sorry can't remember who) with worthwhile savings. IIRC just over £2 pounds each for sub-C NiMH. Go for tagged, it will make it easier.

Agree

Agree

Reply to
newshound

Thanks. My "Too Good to be True" detector is in fine working order!

Reply to
Huge

Having been round this loop a couple of times, I came to the conclusion that with decent spec tools, the best bet is to get real manufacturers replacements at the best price you can find.

If you recell, then the prices of decent cells will be as much as buying a new pack unless you use cheap cells, and if you do that, the tool performance will never be the same as it was.

My Mak 18V combi drill (bought in 2004 ish) came with three batts, and one of them failed a couple of years back ahead of the other two. I bought an ebay "compatible" 3Ah batt. That was "ok" - performance was not quite a good as a new "real" batt, but was comparable for the remaining original packs - which were tiring a little. After two years however the remaining original packs were getting seriously past it, and the compatible one was no better - so although it was half the price, it only had a quarter of the life. So I recently bit the bullet and bought a box of three new Makita 2.6Ah batts (best deal was about £150), and that restored the tools to "as new" performance. Decent replacement cells would have probably worked out at £60/battery.

Reply to
John Rumm

I used to be able to buy Sanyo cells (about 2000 mA.hr) from a local place that fixed broadcast batteries. Sadly, they've closed down. But never at anywhere near a couple of quid. More like double that. What was noticeable was that they improved the performance of a 'shed' brand power tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks. That was kind-of the conclusion I was coming to.

Reply to
Huge

I've got enought LSD AA cells to do the 14.4V Powercraft combi but not much idea on how to put them in. The easiest way would be in battery holder (4 or

6), but would the springs last? Should give about 2Ah, as you say and also avoid the discharge problem.
Reply to
PeterC

Battery holders ain't usually much use with power tools - too much resistance at the contact points between cells, so limit the maximum current. They need to be welded together.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I recently came across LSD NiMhs with tags, somewhere. It was an unexpected source and damned if I recall where, but here's some ready-made smaller packs of the same. I might get a couple of these next time I'm looking for drill packs.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Argh! That I can't do.

Reply to
PeterC

Problem here, possibly: "3) The packs cannot provide the same current output as standard types, so this makes them unsuitable for motor applications, or other high current uses."

Reply to
PeterC

The common DIY way is to buy tagged cells and solder the tags.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah. Bugger it, missed that. Even paralleling two of the 6V packs up would only give a max rate of 12A and for my 12V drill I would need four of them, thereby becoming a bit on the bulky side. Istr the current demand of that drill can be in the region of 20 to 30A. However, things will progress. In the meantime I'll carry on using a Makita-fit NiCd in my Bosch.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And when it comes time to replace that, I might look seriously at the

12V 3.7Ah pack at the bottom of here
LSD, but good quality and cheap enough. Easy to take the top off one of my old packs and make a casing with adaptor.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon