HippoBags ..

Well, what I wrote was totally ambiguous.

Reply to
Adam Funk

a wee WEEE box

Reply to
Adam Funk

Davey scribbled...

I dunno, you throw out a load of rubbish that disappears and you're left wondering if you dumped something valuable. I have seen smashed up cast iron fireplaces in my skip diving days - there are a lot of idiots around.

Reply to
Jabba

Get bigger than what you think you need, there's a tendency to underestimate the volume of the material you are getting rid of. The extra cost is not pro rata but it is a lot more if you need another skip/Hippo bag.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

No - they chop them up to recycle what they can (iron wires, various textiles). They are hideously bulky to just landfill.

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK - I see. Never heard of that before. Does anyone know of such a site in other parts of the country?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Aha. What about memory foam ones?

I guess mattresses are individually bulky, but I wonder what the volume per person per year is, compared with general rubbish as a whole. You don't throw them away very often.

Reply to
Adam Funk

No idea - will probably attract a "special EU tax" in about 10 years when the tips get flooded with old ones...

True.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you aren't sure you want it gone, don't throw it out! What is the difference if the skip guys take it, or somebody who can make use of it? back when lived in Michigan, there used to be two free days a year when anything could be put out for collection, no limits (as long as it wa safe). The evenings before, pickups would cruise the streets collecting anything anybody wanted. It reduced the amount of stuff the city (!) had to collect, everybody was happy.

Reply to
Davey

Davey scribbled...

They've been doing that in Germany too. Saves them burning it on the street...

Reply to
Jabba

Does it matter? Camden council closed the one in Kentish Town for a while to redevelop it and gave out a list of alternatives in neighbouring boroughs. So I discovered the tip in Islington was closer and had better opening hours. When Camden reopened the 'new improved' recycling centre I found it so awkwardly laid out with too many different sections that I've continued to use the Islinton one.

Reply to
djc