High Voltage Cable Inspection

Not a job for the faint hearted

vortex2

In message , vortex2 writes

the guys who work on high voltage cables from bucket trucks, ladder or pole spikes while wearing nothing but a pair of high voltage rated rubber gloves. When the gloves fail (and they have) the very least they can expect is to lose limbs of they survive.

All so you guys can have power all the time without interruption.

And to keep the meters turning!

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Hmm, some more misinformation. 'Hot' working doesn't rely on rubber gloves.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Beg to differ they are used depends on the voltage on the line be that

230/415 11 kV etc...
Reply to
tony sayer

Mea culpa, I'll rephrase that slightly - 'hot' working *at EHV or HV* doesn't rely *solely* on rubber gloves.

Reply to
The Wanderer

In message , The Wanderer writes

It does in some instances. While the bucket trucks are often designed with a fibreglass section in the boom, it isn't always possible to get a heavy bucket truck into a field.

There are other techniques for hot work like stick working where tools on the end of insulated rods are used to manipulate the cables, but rubber glove working is common and often done directly from the pole, though less so in the UK.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

What sort of "maintenance" would one of these guys be carrying out anyway?

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm guessing, by the youtube video, it would be general inspection - I saw one guy coming up to the insulator for a fleeting moment.

Reply to
Tim S

I once watched some guys using insulating rods to detach a link on a pole so as to isolate a section to check for insulator breakdown, which was causing severe radio interference,

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Some scary piccys here!...

tony sayer

In message , John Rumm writes

It would scare you....

They do things like tapping on a new transformer, changing out insulators and even running in new cables above or below the existing live ones. (All bare!)

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In message , tony sayer writes

Much better view from the top.

Picture taken from helicopter... He's about to climb onto it's skids. Much easier than climbing pylons.

Clive Mitchell

In article , Clive Mitchell writes

harness I have has two safety hooks thereon and one is attached then I climb a bit then the other is attached take the original off and repeat and so on.. very slow progress but "connected" all the time.

Matey there is climbing freehand as it were and they do fall off quite frequently especially elsewhere in the world where safety standards are more lax.....

Reply to
tony sayer

As I corrected myself in an earlier post:-

If you are talking about work in places other than the UK - this is uk.d-i-y after all - anything could apply.....

Reply to
The Wanderer

Looks to me like he clipped to the cable, then unclipped from the chopper (I was concerned about the chopper being tethered for a few seconds).

Accent is US or Canada, both with excellent standards of public safety.

Reply to
dom

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com writes

Not according the some linesmen's websites it doesn't seem to be...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Take another look. It's a double lanyard harness.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com writes

Blowed if I can find the site I was looking at the other week!. A linesman's site complaining about safety standards with some companies located in Florida.

Gripe was about costs and profits over safety standards...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Clive Mitchell writes

Yes but that sort of tower doesn't look like it can be readily climbed in the manner I wrote about, the masts I'm referring to usually have a fall arrest system in place or are made up of round section member cross bracing that you can clip round easily.

Course guys like him wouldn't be seen dead with such a "baby walker" arrangement;!....

Reply to
tony sayer