High suck vacuum cleaners.

My son has a Vax, which has broken under guarantee, the vacuum has been replaced, but he notices that the suck is pathetic, thanks EU. Are then any vacuum available with higher power? I was thinking perhaps commercial ones. Or would it be better looking for a second hand machine, in which case what would be the way of ensuring it was a full sucker? :-)

Reply to
Broadback

Tim Watts

Broadback scribbled

He could turn it on.

Reply to
Jonno

What's it used for? Workshop? Wet'n'dry? ...

What power rating was the old one and the replacement?

The 1600W limit was imposed by the EU because none of the cleaners with higher power rating actually had better suck (air watts, and some other measurements) than the 1600W models from the manuafacturers which had invested in energy efficiency in their designs. I don't know how VAX compares on this scale - it might be that their 1600W models are not as efficient as some of the other manufacturers, in which case you will need to look for a different make with better efficiency to get better suck.

FWIW, I don't believe the EU should have banned the higher power ones, but should have insisted on consistent labeling to enable efficiency, some measure of effectiveness (possibly air watts), and power consumption to be compared by the buyers. Trouble was that some manufacturers (particularly outside the EU) were just making more and more power hungry cleaners which the public thought would be better, when they were actually very significantly worse, unless you only wanted to use them as fan heaters;-).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

IIRC Machine mart publish the suck figures for their vacs.

Reply to
Capitol

Not just outside the EU. I recently bought a Kärcher workshop vacuum cleaner, which was labelled with the actually electrical consumption (1100W I think), and the equivalent power of pre-limit models (1800W). That's quite a significant difference.

I agree though that forcing manufacturers to quote some measure of the suction power (good) as well as the power consumption (bad) would have been a better approach.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Just make sure it's a brand name one with a reputation for "extreme suckyness". AFAIA, Microsoft don't actually make vacuum cleaners but it just might be worth a quick look.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Years ago we hired a commercial vacuum to clearout years of accumlauted detritus from the loft (no sarking) before adding insulation and boarding out.

Ran of a 13 A plug and had two motors individually switched. They had to be as if you switched them on together it would instantly blow a

13 A fuse. Now that had suck, it could pick up bricks or rip up the keys from the lath and plaster ceilings...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Friend of my ex-wife has carpet cleaning business. He uses Kirby, not sure which model. He does a fair few of disaster clean-ups, where the carpets got all sorts of crap embedded in them.

Reply to
bruce56